Please tell me what type of dog to get.

(73 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 21-Apr-15 09:38:37

Originally wanted a GSD, still do. But, realistically it's not the right time for a dog that large.
We have 4 kids, 8, 6, 4, 11 months. So it has to be a breed that is familial.
Has to be intelligent and easy to train. (So I hear a pug is out!)
Small/ medium.
Preferably not a shedder.
Dh not keen on collies/golden retrievers.
Any ideas?

AngryBeaver Tue 21-Apr-15 09:49:49

Oh, sorry. Must add, no spaniels or yorkies, or fancy dogs like bichon's (dh)

ditavonteesed Tue 21-Apr-15 09:50:41

whippet or staffy

chocolatelife Tue 21-Apr-15 09:53:53

i love retrievers,
what about pointers?

AngryBeaver Tue 21-Apr-15 10:13:57

Not whippet, nor staffy.
Not retrievers.
Quite like bulldogs, but worried about future health problems

AngryBeaver Tue 21-Apr-15 10:14:57

Not a pointer.
Sorry, dh has never owned a dog and is very opinionated! No
Terriers, either.

ditavonteesed Tue 21-Apr-15 10:15:45

bulldogs are generally very unhealthy dogs, I dont know if french bulldogs have the same problems (but they are gorgeous)

SunsofAlanKey Tue 21-Apr-15 10:16:26

Schnauzer? Or a poodle?

PoppyBlossom Tue 21-Apr-15 10:27:25

Patterdale terriers? I'd be put off by the breeds which have breathing deformities.

Steadycampaign Tue 21-Apr-15 10:32:25

Agree with schnauzer or a poodle, or a Tibetan terrier.

PoppyBlossom Tue 21-Apr-15 10:34:01

Having read your original post again, I don't think now would be the Right time To get a first dog, with an 11 month old crawling around the house.

Are you tempted by brachycephalic dogs because of their lazy characteristics? (They aren't actually that lazy, just struggling to functionally breathe.)

OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 21-Apr-15 10:35:01

Why no spaniels? They are perfect family pets.

Beagle. But beware - they run off! Recall is terrible.

LokiBuddyBoo1 Tue 21-Apr-15 10:36:34

You seem to have a long list of dogs you don't want lol
I would absolutely recommend a whippet great family dogs, they are calm and good around kids and don't need as much walking as you think although they will happily walk for miles, two 20 minute runs off lead is enough they are real couch potatoes.but I saw up post you don't want one I'd consider them as my father and sister have one and both are great with the family dc's ages 7,6,2,2 and 7 months.
If not how about a beagle or boxer.

chocolatelife Tue 21-Apr-15 10:37:56

A mongrel would be best. plenty of mixed breeds

chocolatelife Tue 21-Apr-15 10:39:09

or retired greyhound. love to sleep, as do whippets

PetraStrorm Tue 21-Apr-15 10:44:08

If I were you I'd wait at least till your youngest is confidently walking (assuming that's not the case yet). Wrangling a puppy/new dog (possibly peeing/pooing on the floor) and a baby and 3 other kids will be pretty difficult imho.

I waited till my youngest turned 5 and have just adopted a greyhound. Brilliant for us, sounds like you're after something smaller though :-)

Even though our greyhound is incredibly laid back and adaptable, and I only have DD and a teenager to consider, there's still a lot of juggling and time-management involved.

PetraStrorm Tue 21-Apr-15 10:45:03

chocolatelife, xpost grin

SconessMcFloness Tue 21-Apr-15 14:09:16

Whippets are not easy to train for recall. Apart from that they are great.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 21-Apr-15 14:11:50

Concur with everything that's been said about whippets. And greyhounds.

Stinkylinky Tue 21-Apr-15 15:45:28

Beagles are supposed to be brilliant with children

AngryBeaver Tue 21-Apr-15 20:20:02

Baby is walking. But, agree it will be hard work.
Definite no to Poodle and whippet. Sorry, I find them really unattractive.(don't wish to cause offence, it's just personal preference)
I can't say why no to spaniels, I know they are nice family dogs. Just that I'm drawn to certain dogs and I'm not drawn to spaniels!
I think Beagles are lovely, but it needs to have good recall.
And I have heard they are nippy.
I really like the look of the Australian Bulldog, more so than a British. Also, like the fugly look of pugs.
Would love a Puggle, but did hear they were really hard to train and had terrible recall.
Plus, they don't breed them here.
We live in NZ.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 21-Apr-15 23:06:53

I've never met a nippy beagle, they were/are used as lab dogs because they are so nice natured (Patterdales on the other hand...). But agree their recall is terrible. I spent my teens chasing after a beagle.
It seems you like squashed faces, so i'm not sure what to suggest. I like pugs, but I do fnd any dog with a flat face a bulging eyes rather worrying, they look so wrong somehow, and so vulnerable to injury. I like a long nose myself. Do you not like any terriers? <looks baffled> Borders make good family dogs, they aren't usually snappy. Or a crossbreed, that sounds like a good option for you.

AngryBeaver Wed 22-Apr-15 04:38:42

If I could choose, I would go big dog every time. GSD, American black lab, or even bigger!
But I have to be sensible and go with our circumstances right now.
I think I do like squashy faces, but I know what you mean about them seeming vulnerable.
Beagles are gorgeous. But, our dog will be walked through bush and on beaches (we live on an island surrounded by these things!) so good recall is essential.
What about shar pei's?
A friend has a havenese. That's pretty lovely, but didn't really want a long haired pooch.

basildonbond Wed 22-Apr-15 06:20:31

common shar pei health problems

I really don't think this would be the dog for you in your circumstances confused

chocolatelife Wed 22-Apr-15 06:35:49

I dont think anyone has suggested a labrador, arent they pretty trainable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now