I need to pts the dog on Monday, don't I?(50 Posts)
Dog is on painkillers and steriods. We have tried most other things so can't change them nor can we increase the dose anymore.
I have a list of 12 things he does when in pain, in the last week he has done 8 of them each day. The current drugs reduced it to 1 thing until a week ago.
He has one walk a day which is less than 10 minutes long. He sleeps almost straight away when we get back.
He has pretty much stopped playing, and sleeps most of the time.
He is having trouble bending into a pooing position.
He doesn't seem unhappy and is still interested in what we are doing.
He is eating ok.
Maybe we should have done it today but it just seems too soon. He is only 5 ffs!
that is a really awful thing to have to decide on; I have been there twice.
What are the painkillers for? what are his ailments?
What a terrible position to be in with such a young dog. If hes definitely not going to get better and hes showing his pain I would probably have him PTS. It cant be an easy decision though
I'm so sorry - it's a terrible situation to be in and am sending you my sympathies.
Has the vet got any advice on prognosis? - I'm assuming from your post that there isn't much more they can do for your lovely dog. Does the vet know what is causing your dog's pain or is it a mystery?
You have to go with what your heart says, although that is a trite thing to say. I'm incline to say if he's able to eat, able to go to the toilet and may have a chance of making some kind of recovery, I would wait a little bit longer. But as clinical as it sounds, it is about weighing up pros and cons from you and your dogs point of view.
There is another thread about him here somewhere. He has no proper diagnosis but the new vet
and most random people think that its neurological.
About 2 months ago it became really obvious that he was in a lot of pain and that the pardale was no longer effective.
We have run out of painkillers to try him on and as much as I hope and wish, he is not magically going to get better. The vet has been willing to pts sleep for the last month and has said there is nothing else we can do for him.
5 year old border collies should not spend the day sleeping after a 10 minute walk
I'm so sorry. He is absolutely beautiful, and I'm really feeling for you. x
In which case, yes - I think PTS is probably the best option although I am loathe to say it. If he quality of life is that reduced because of his condition, I believe it is the most humane thing to do. I'm welling up for you, genuinely, because I know how difficult this decision is.
Much love to you all, including your beautiful dog.
Has he had the MRI ,because I would definitely do that first considering his age.
Thank you Mumtosome, we have known how his life would end for years, we just thought we had longer.
I was so happy when he started the steriods about 6 weeks ago. He was so happy, he played and ran around. I could take him to doggy daycare with me. He was a totally different dog.
All I have done all day is cry.
Be kind to yourself, Ephedra - you are making a very difficult decision and make sure you have support and people around you. Some people will always say "it's a dog" but us owners know otherwise - it's family.
No Floralnomad for lots of reasons. Mainly shit advice from vets (ortho vet said we didn't need one as "thats just the way he is"). It was next on our list if we got the pain under control. Though new vet thinks that while we may learn what is wrong we might not be able to fix it (dog has really bad allergies to lots of drugs).
I will not allow my dog to suffer, he is in pain despite the drugs and he is having problems toileting, so the mri will not happen. Unless he gets better by the time I speak to the vet on monday.
He really is beautiful and I have teared up looking into his eyes...I am so sorry for you all. I pray that a miracle happens for you, but if that doesn't come soon, you have to be strong for him and make the decision that only someone that truly loves their dog can.
I wish for a miracle, but I also wish you strength. ((hugs))
poor you and poor dog - will be thinking of you
Mumtosome he is the reason I get up in the morning, the reason I go out and the reason I have friends. We spend all day every day together. I have no idea what I am going to do without him.
God my heart breaks for you, I know how terrible it is
I don't want to add to your pain or confuse you but have you had a second /third opinion ? A referral to a neurologist? Been to animal health trust ? Has he tried something like gabapentin ?
Ephadra I am sorry for what you and your dog are going through, I have a friend who has 7 (I think) collies and is she very into their health problems, one of hers has currently just gone through testing, scans then an op, she is on many collie facebook pages giving advice and trying to gather as much info as possible to different conditions, I don't think she would mind me giving you her fb name she may be able to offer you advice.
We have seen dozens of vets Korma, including specialist but not a neurololgist unless a vet consulted with one (they have done this with other specialist vets so its possible). This was to be the next referral.
Re gabapentin. My dog has bad allergies so lots of drugs have been discounted before we even tried them. Gabapentin and other anticonvulsants may be on this list, I've lost track.
We have been speaking to/seeing anyone and everyone about the dog for the last 5 years. I don't think we will get answers and thats ok but letting my poor collie suffer isn't.
I don't know what to say - I don't think there is anything we could say to make it easier. Just an awful situation and you have my utmost sympathy.
If I've understood right, that an MRI would possibly lead to a diagnosis but there are no further possible treatment options to try, it's probably time. I'm so sorry.
If you really think he is in constant pain, then I do think he should be put to sleep, sorry, I know that's hard to hear. I have been through it myself.
But if he is still eating, and is interested in what is going on, then isn't he still enjoying life? How can you tell he is in pain?
You know him best. Do you think he is suffering at the moment?
Yes SpicyBear you understood correctly.
Primrose I made a list of 12 things that I believe show that he is in pain. These include restlessness/not getting comfortable, chewing at himself, not playing, and arching his back amongst others. He is currently doing 8 out of 12 plus he is having trouble with a back leg that means pooing is becoming difficult.
I'm not sure if he is enjoying life anymore but I suspect he isn't, he was such a happy dog and now all he is doing is sleeping. He isn't even playing fetch or chasing flies and he is obsessed with both.
I'm sorry, I haven't seen your other threads (maybe because it's the summer holidays and I chase my own tail) but this all sounds very hard and at a head
In times like these you have to trust yourself. Trust your own instincts. Listen to your vet.
I know how hard it is because he's an intelligent, handsome boy and he should have lived until he was much older but in reality he can't and won't I have been there with one of mine and its devastating and I really feel for you, both of you. Xxx
It's the hardest thing as a loving owner, but at least your collie boy had you - his loving owner. You have to do what you feel in your heart is the right thing for them, otherwise it's difficult to live with yourself.
If you need to chat do pm me
I hope you are okay (you obviously won't be)
I know he has had a good life, we have done the best we could for him and there have been lots of good times.
I also know that putting him to sleep is the right thing to do. I just don't want to.
The really sad thing is he will be the 6th pet we have had to pts in 7 years (the 2nd dog who was 4) and we have only had 6 pets in that time.
Of course you don't want to take your time. It doesn't have to be Monday. and I'm so sorry. I lost two dogs in less than two years and it was devastating , they get in there and break your heart don't they? Xxx
I'm so sorry Ephedra. He is gorgeous, and I know (from your last thread) how much you have tried to help him. Only you know in your heart of hearts when the time is right, but from what you describe, I would probably agree.
I also come from a family where we haven't had a lot of 'luck' with dogs and losing them too early in life. Thankfully mum and dad's last one has bucked the trend, and is a sprightly-ish 16 year old. Also a Border Collie, they are one of my favourite breeds, and yours is beautiful
Heartbreaking decision for you, and I wish you peace with with making it. Huge hugs.
Ephedra I have read your other thread and suggested hyperaesthesia as a possibility.
I think from reading this if I was your vet I would be offering you two choices on Monday.
1. Emergency same day referral to a neurologist with at least a CT machine, but ideally an MRI on site.
2. Or PTS.
I know you have tried many drugs and all kinds of routes recently and really there is nothing wrong with saying you have reached then end of the road. You have tried an awful lot harder than the vast majority of people would have done.
You are a very diligent owner who has a very good handle on your dog and when it s too much for him.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.