Stopping lunchtime meal

(4 Posts)
murphys Thu 28-Aug-14 11:14:28

How did you go about dropping the lunch time meal with your pup? We should be considering this soon when she will be 6 months.

Do you do it gradually, over a few weeks by just giving less and less at lunchtime, with the difference made up at breakfast and dinner? Or do you just stop the lunch on the day give a bigger breakfast?

I don't think I have the heart for this. Because Murphypup can tell the time...wink at 12 oclock plus minus 5 minutes either way she comes to tell me its lunchtime....

She is nearly 5 months now, so I have a few weeks to do it gradually... just want to ask how others have done it..

punter Thu 28-Aug-14 11:30:09

we split the total daily allowance into breakfast and supper and just stopped the lunchtime feed. He is a lab so we got the big eyes and mournful look, I just did something else with him, some clicker training or fetch ball in the garden with tiny tiny bits of treats as rewards. At 2 years old he will still circle us as we are having our bit of lunch but sometimes he does get half a carrot or bit of marrowbone around 12 noon after a long walk/swim. Good luck!

onedogatoddlerandababy Thu 28-Aug-14 11:34:12

We did it gradually, reducing lunch and adding to morning & evening meals.
I have an extremely food motivated springer, she'll give us 'poor sad starving me' eyes approx 2 mins after wolfing down her food confusedhmmgrin

insanityscratching Thu 28-Aug-14 11:39:41

We did it cold turkey although to be honest Eric isn't bothered about food in his dish so he gets fed most of his food by hand throughout the day as rewards and incentives and a small meal at teatime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now