Elderly neighbour hitting his dog

(11 Posts)
cremedecacao Wed 27-Aug-14 13:39:50

Our elderly neighbour lives on his own with his dog for company. His dog barks ALL THE TIME and it is very annoying. My neighbour shouts at it loudly (only adding to the noise) before whacking it (I presume), probably with a newspaper or similar.

I am not a dog owner- but this isn't really ok is it? I left a status on Facebook about it and a few people suggested I report him. I feel that he is just using 'old school' ways of dealing with his dogs barking and that he possibly doesn't see it as unkind, but I can't help but feel sorry for the dog stuck there with him all day. I have never seen him take his dog further than his garden.

Would you do anything?

SpicyBear Wed 27-Aug-14 13:49:43

It's a disgusting way to treat a dog, but unfortunately as long as he is feeding, watering and sheltering it, no one will take any action.

JadeJ123 Wed 27-Aug-14 14:20:27

Sadly unless you can film him hitting the dog no one will care sad

cremedecacao Wed 27-Aug-14 15:29:02

That's what I thought too sad

Gen35 Wed 27-Aug-14 15:35:32

I wonder if the dog's getting enough exercise - mine barks more when bored. I don't suppose it's a nice dog and you have a teenager that would like to offer to give the dog extra walks? I'd be inclined to ask the RSPCA for advice if I couldn't help, perhaps he needs support or re-homing for the dog

chockbic Wed 27-Aug-14 15:40:02

Do you have a dog warden at your council?

utterlyconfused11 Thu 28-Aug-14 10:53:44

Why do you presume? and have you actually seen him hitting his dog?

Gen35 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:05:32

I even wonder if it's a case for seeing if age concern have advice - somebody should be able to get to the bottom of why the dog is barking so much. We used to help old people with shopping on Wednesday afternoons, perhaps a local school could have a teenager walk the dog for him. must be a common situation for older people with pets to have to face that at some point the exercise requirements get too much - you don't always know when you're going to face ill health.

cremedecacao Thu 28-Aug-14 17:42:25

I did think that myself- he is quite elderly. There is a lady who pops round to see him once a week. Gen35- no teenagers (or even children yet, I'm TTC!) but yes that would have been a great idea. Hadn't considered Age Concern before.

Utterly- I can hear the thwack!!

Gen35 Thu 28-Aug-14 18:17:56

Much luck with TTC! It sounds like he definitely needs help, hopefully they can get the dog on a list for walks, it's a sad situation.

bellasuewow Thu 28-Aug-14 22:59:24

I think the cinnamon trust will walk dogs for the elderly if there is one in your area. I think it is common for nuisance barking to occur when the dog sis bored and under exercised poor thing. Good for you for trying to help and good luck ttc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now