Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Dog owners please advise me - 16 mo and chihuahua

(5 Posts)
MaryJonesSpaceDetective Tue 26-Aug-14 21:32:06

We're due to visit my folks this weekend and my dad has just announced they've acquired a chihuahua. DD is 16 months, and I would like to make sure that the two are introduced as sensibly and carefully as possible, for the benefit of them both.

I know absolutely nothing about dogs - I'm happy to pet other people's and am perfectly comfortable around them but that's about it. DD loves them and often says hello to ones we meet with the owner's permission, but she needs to be prevented from shrieking with excitement and leaping on them.

I don't know what experience my stepmother has with dogs, but my Dad has very little. He says the dog is around a year old and 'starting to do its business in the right place' which I presume is because it's just arrived in a new place rather than because it's not house-trained, but I'm not sure.

I'd be hugely grateful for advice from the initiated as to how to manage the meeting responsibly, without stressing out the poor dog or endangering DD. We're only staying one night this time so can separate if all else fails, but would like to think long-term.

Thank you!

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 27-Aug-14 11:27:53

My mum had 3 chihuahuas when my now 21 year old daughter was a baby. I can't remember how we introduced them to her, but I was careful not to let her pull them about as one of them was a tad grumpy. They can be snappy dogs when annoyed.
Just be relaxed and calm and supervise your daughter closely and it should be fine.

Hoppinggreen Wed 27-Aug-14 15:16:35

Can be snappy and at the face height of a crawling child so be wary ( as you would with any dog).
Don't leave them alone obviously but also don't let your DD too close without really good supervision

hollyisalovelyname Sun 31-Aug-14 10:49:10

Be very careful.
As they are so small they can be very nervous and hence snappy.

Lilcamper Sun 31-Aug-14 13:55:38

This is a great website for advice on kids and dogs a Family Paws

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now