Dog barking at night

(7 Posts)
goldenlilliesdaffodillies Tue 26-Aug-14 15:20:27

I have a King Charles Cavalier. He is a dear little thing and very friendly. He is 4 and used to sleep happily all night. He started off in a crate and then decided he preferred to sleep in a chair in the kitchen next to the cat.

At the beginning of the summer he went to stay with a very experienced dog owner who he is used to visiting whilst we went on holiday. He normally happily sleeps on a chair at her house but she decided to let him sleep on her bed every night instead. We have never allowed him to do this and it is not something we want to start. However since being home he has now started barking for up to an hour at night and then again very early in the morning. He is waking up the children (one of whom also wakes in the night) and we are not getting much sleep.

I have tried leaving a light on, the radio on and giving him a kong with treat inside. What else can I try to encourage him to sleep through?

Thanks

DogCalledRudis Wed 27-Aug-14 11:34:54

Does anything disturb him? Sounds you may not hear, but dog hears?

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 28-Aug-14 16:28:34

I don't think so. I think it is more that he is cross being left alone (apart from the cat).

ffallada Thu 28-Aug-14 17:05:37

Oh, I do feel for you.

If you are sure its the company he misses could you try crating him in your room, then gradually moving the crate further away? Eventually he will end up downstairs where you are happy and perhaps decide he will prefer the kitchen with the cat again.

susiedaisy Thu 28-Aug-14 23:24:59

Have a look at the citronella collar on amazon. I haven't used it but the reviews seem very positive towards stopping nuisance barking.

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Sun 31-Aug-14 13:36:40

Thanks for your suggestions.

MarmiteMania Sun 31-Aug-14 17:50:40

I have had night barking with my King Charles. I find its either due to a tummy ache/pain anywhere or due to the fact he had been spending too much time on my bed and was just crying for me.

We now have the same routine every night- he's allowed on my bed in the evening for a while but then it's down to bed, no exceptions ever. Not had a problem since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now