Knobbly puppy- fairly urgent advice needed please

(7 Posts)
TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 25-Aug-14 11:28:38

DPup is about 18 weeks now and from a less than savoury background. When she came she had a couple of small raised lumps which I assumed were cigarette burns (roll ups rather than actual cigarettes) These caused her no hassle and she seemed otherwise in fine fettle skin and coat wise.
Over the last day or so she has developed a series of raised patches on her sides. They seem almost fluid filled ie- not hard but not big enough to be actually filled IYSWIM? She's a Staffie so has short straight hair which has been disturbed by the swellings which maybe makes it appear worse than it is (on the boys I doubt we would have noticed TBH)
She's not itching, losing hair or appearing in any other way off colour. Normally I would take a trip to the vets but her insurance only covers illness from two weeks after it's inception (about 9 days time) If she was properly ill then I would of course take her but my gut feeling is this is an allergy which, when mentioned on her records will leave us with 12+ years of the insurance refusing to pay up for anything allergy related as it will be deemed to be a pre-existing condition hmm
Does anybody have any advice or experience of similar issues? If I could avoid a trip to the vets for the time being I would be eternally grateful smile

LEMmingaround Mon 25-Aug-14 11:35:54

It could be allergies but she would be itchy. If she isn't unwell then id be inclined to wait until the insurance kicks in.

LEMmingaround Mon 25-Aug-14 11:37:20

Is there any scabbiness?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 25-Aug-14 11:44:39

If she has had a less than desirable up bringing scabies would be right at the top of my list. Yes most dogs with scabies are itchy and then every so often you meet one who isn't.

TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 25-Aug-14 12:08:23

Hi there, thanks for your replies smile
No scabbiness, no redness or itching at all. Today the swelling seems much better and is probably only noticeable as we knew it was there yesterday. Will have a google of scabies <wibble> and see if that fits the bill.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 25-Aug-14 12:37:05

Lots of scabies in puppies is atypical so doesn't look like Internet pictures.
I wouldn't be happy it wasn't scabies without a negative blood test, sadly experience has made me extremely careful about these cases.
Next on my list would be demodex.
Allergy in such a young pup,with such a history would be along way down the list

TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 25-Aug-14 15:41:11

Thank you lonecat, as I said the swelling is much improved after yesterday so who knows <shrug>

I will keep a very close eye on her but ideally don't want to jeopardise my insurance if I can help it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now