poodle owners- which clippers?

(11 Posts)
wanttosinglikemarycoughlan Sun 24-Aug-14 23:34:15

I clip my mini poodle but am using standard wahl hair clippers
A decent clipper should make the job easier? but which to get?

Can't help but watching with interest as my poodle x has killed off yet another pair of cheap clippers, so I'm looking at replacing them.

wanttosinglikemarycoughlan Sun 24-Aug-14 23:50:22

what brand were you using Juliet?

Also watching as I would like to be able to clip my x myself, rather than spend a lot of time and money. Maybe need a couple of lessons first ... how old are they before they need clipping?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 25-Aug-14 08:12:19

Osters or Ancol in my experience are the best.
Also remember to get your blades sharpened regularly and in between use a good quality clipper wash to keep them moving nicely.

insanityscratching Mon 25-Aug-14 08:47:52

We were told not to clip Eric before he was six months old, so we stuck with that although he resembled Dougall from the Magic Roundabout by the end. He did have his face trimmed with scissors though so that he could see. We have him clipped short now for practical reasons as he loves to get dirty and wet and he dries quicker after a dunk in the tub

Eric is gorgeous ... what is he?

insanityscratching Mon 25-Aug-14 10:30:01

Thank you, he's a poodle/shih tzu cross. He's a cutie but he's full of character. I think I expected a little lapdog but in truth he's never happier than when he's filthy and wet tbh.

I've had a succession of cheapish Wahl clippers but they just can't cope with big dogs fur. Just looked at Oster... Ouch! They're expensive! But I guess at 6 clips a year for the next 10 years, they'd be a decent investment.

Sandancer Mon 25-Aug-14 12:14:24

Oster clippers are good but have a silly placed air vent which results in hair being blown in your face when you're clipping underneath they also heat up when clipping poodle feet.
I like Andis clippers, they don't heat up and they're quieter than Oster.

Mylittlepotofjoy Mon 25-Aug-14 20:32:39

Andis clippers are great and blades IMO are the best on these types of coat . Not cheap but worth every penny. I use these every day on all types of coats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now