Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Puppy (Mini Schnauzer) vs older rescue dog?

(5 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 24-Aug-14 10:00:37

Hello

I am just starting to think about getting a dog. We had a lovely Bichon (in my own family) from when I was 18. We (me, DH, DS 6, DD 1) would like a Mini Schnauzer as they are non-moulting like our Bichon was and they sound like they are good for families. I will be home full-time shortly, so would like to take advantage and get a dog.

I was thinking that an older rescue dog might be better than a bouncy puppy, but I guess the downside could be behaviour problems stemming from their previous life. And actually they'll probably both need training...? Also I am guessing rescues have a real mix of dogs not just pure breeds.

I just wondered how you decided re rescue vs new puppy?

TIA

MothershipG Sun 24-Aug-14 10:09:34

We ended up with a Mini Schnauzer puppy rather than a rescue dog because we couldn't find a rescue dog suitable for a home with young children (youngest DC was 4 at the time).

God, was she a handful, over excited, nippy, over confident, I did wonder a few times if I'd made a mistake...8 years later she's still easily over excited and over confident, but sweet as a nut, really good with other dogs and small children. Iffy recall despite loads of time, effort & money invested in her training.

However I am led to believe she is a bit of a lemon and not particularly representative of her breed! grin

So I would say you can do your best to make the right decision for your own circumstances but there are no guarantees in the dog game.

wildfig Sun 24-Aug-14 17:01:33

How about a compromise? You could contact the Schnauzer Club and see if they know of any older dogs in need of a new home, or show dogs that have been retired and need a pet home?

Most pedigree breeds have at least one rescue group, and the breed club should be able to help with putting you in touch.

Owllady Sun 24-Aug-14 17:10:00

I agree with the above poster smile

JadeJ123 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:11:12

Try the schnauzer rescue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now