Both dogs have started sneezing - could do with some advice please.

(11 Posts)
Fav Fri 22-Aug-14 23:11:37

Both dogs (JRT 14 and lab 6) went to kennels last weekend.
Today both have started sneezing and have runny noses.
They're not coughing at all. Both eating fine, energy levels fine.
I'm hopefully taking them to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone know what this could be?

We are supposed to be looking after a friend's puppy in a couple of weeks (could be postponed a week though). Any advice about this?
Thanks.

Sounds like the start of Kennel cough - it's highly contagious and like a cold for us, usually just needs to run its course.

I wouldn't go to the vet for it, but if you feel you should, warn them in advance because they won't want you in the waiting room spreading the germs.

You shouldn't look after your friends puppy, your dogs need to be isolated until it's gone unfortunately.

Fav Fri 22-Aug-14 23:29:20

Ah bugger!
How long do they need to be isolated?

It can be gone in 3 weeks, but sometimes takes as long as 6. If it doesn't clear up after 4 weeks, I'd think about going to the vet.

Also, and obviously, if they start to behave as though they're properly ill, then they need a vet trip, although few dogs react to it in that way.

Kormachameleon Fri 22-Aug-14 23:32:46

I'd put my home on it being kennel cough and actually I would recommend the vet, particularly for your oldie - antibiotics will help

Fav Fri 22-Aug-14 23:38:51

I'll see if I can speak to the vet tomorrow instead of taking them in.
Thanks

LoubyLou145 Fri 22-Aug-14 23:46:21

My dog started with kennel cough a week ago and we are getting a puppy at the beginning of September.
I asked our vet and she said 14 days from onset is enough to isolate, so getting the puppy then will be fine.
Does this sound too optimistic? The puppy will be 8 weeks old when we pick her up.
Does anyone know what we should do? Can we vaccinate the puppy?

Never crossed my mind to worry about it until I saw this!

Talk to your breeder. I wouldn't want one of my puppies going at just 8 weeks to a home with active KC tbh. See what she says.

I don't vaccinate against KC as there are so many strains of it, and the vaccination is only effective on some of them, so I've never found out what the protocol is for puppies.

moosemama Sat 23-Aug-14 21:28:21

See how they go, but any sign they are acting out of sorts and I'd advise a trip to the vets.

Both mine had KC earlier this year and my younger dog developed a chest infection, despite not having obviously severe symptoms. Elder dog clearly had the same virus, but was over it much more quickly and it hardly bothered him at all.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Aug-14 21:56:45

Dogs with kennel cough are still infectious whilst they cough which as Daisy has said can be for up to 6 weeks. I absolutely would not bring a puppy into an environment with an active kennel cough as it s most serious for the very young and very old.

Fav Sat 23-Aug-14 22:09:30

Been to the vets, it's not kennel cough.
He thinks it's a mild rhinitis, most likely picked up at kennels, which is a relief, was very worried about my old lady dog!
Thank you for the replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now