ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

best kind of second dog with a high energy border collie? a smaller dog maybe?

(25 Posts)
Owllady Fri 22-Aug-14 16:52:18

I have a 2 year old border collie x. She is a very bright active dog and was part of a pair until last year. We do obedience and agility and the children teach her tricks...

I have always had two collies. I walk a lot (when I am not injured hmm)

I was thinking either an older collie orca smaller dog might be better. I miss my old dog so much, she was a Welsh collie with a fair bit of terrier in her but all the rescues say terrier savvy and I don't know if I am

Hmm

I hope you are all having a nice holiday

Bubble2bubble Fri 22-Aug-14 19:35:15

Please take another collie, there are so many needing homes, especially the older, smaller ones smile. and I know where you could get one

Owllady Fri 22-Aug-14 19:41:23

I don't mind older or smaller
I'm just worried about having another young collie with this one (who is rescue btw, they all have been. Even the ones we had as children)
Who do you recommend grin

I'm umming and ahhing. Have been for months. I just loved my old dog SO much, she was MY dog iykwim. That I feel like I am replacing her

Bubble2bubble Fri 22-Aug-14 19:47:25

Aha well as it happens I was just looking at this so glad you asked...

Owllady Fri 22-Aug-14 19:58:35

Aww do you mean Indy? She looks a darling smile I can't believe she has been bred from already sad

Bubble2bubble Fri 22-Aug-14 20:02:40

Isn't she gorgeous? Probably not intentionally bred from, just neglected sad

Owllady Fri 22-Aug-14 20:08:43

She looks lovely. My dog was rescued from a pound in Ireland too

Bubble2bubble Fri 22-Aug-14 20:17:18

If you want to really upset yourself, go back on that FB page again it's just been updated.... sad sad sad

Owllady Fri 22-Aug-14 20:20:36

What a beautiful girl! sad

Helgathehairy Fri 22-Aug-14 21:51:15

I just read about Sandy and am nearly in tears myself. Am 1.5 hours drive from Cork - almost considering it but DD is 12 months and teething and a nightmare at the moment. She also tries to climb all over our Golden Retriever who loves her - I'd be nervous about her trying it with a dog she doesn't know.

Bubble2bubble Fri 22-Aug-14 22:01:22

I know Helgasad I have considered it even though I am about 5 hours drive from Cork, have four dogs plus a foster already... There will be someone down there to help, I know there will.

Eastpoint Sat 23-Aug-14 10:40:23

There is a lovely charity called Black Retriever X which is very careful about rehoming dogs. They often have older dogs who need a new home. They have a very good presence on Facebook but you have to email Jem (who runs it) direct if you are interested in fostering or adopting.
Black retriever x

Eastpoint Sat 23-Aug-14 10:41:55

Whoops - that's the same charity as mentioned by Bubble, sorry.

Owllady Sat 23-Aug-14 10:47:22

Do they have a lot of collies in then?

Owllady Sat 23-Aug-14 10:48:02

And seriously, why don't people want a black dog?

Bubble2bubble Sat 23-Aug-14 12:22:17

A lot of the dogs from Ireland will have some collie in them - Black Retriever X will have retriever collies, lab collies,collie springers, collie setters et al Most of the time you are just guessing though as when the dogs come from the pound there is usually no way of knowing. They have a lot of dogs on their books at the moment due to the annual summer holiday dumping of dogs tradition, so it's worth emailing to see if any of their dogs were suited to your situation.
People just seem to be programmed to be less attracted to black dogs. If you watch the dog pounds and rescues you can see the white/ yellow/ goldie dogs often being rehomed quite quickly while the black ones don't sad

Owllady Sat 23-Aug-14 12:25:25

Gosh, that's bizarre 're the colour sad I really don't understand people at all

LadyTurmoil Sat 23-Aug-14 15:02:22

There was even an article a month or so ago by one of the big charities (can't remember which) saying that black cats are more difficult to rehome - one of the reasons given - they don't show up well in photos, and specifically selfies - bah! angry

punter Sat 23-Aug-14 15:08:52

we had a black rescue dog - heinz 57 - and found a lot of other dogs reacted badly to him, ears back, snapping etc. Someone told us that other dogs do not like black ones - can this possibly be true?

Owllady Sat 23-Aug-14 16:27:54

My neighbours have got a black dog, a setter actually (it's stoopid grin) and my dogs were never bothered by him. My friend has a black Newfoundland and my dog likes that too. She just hates certain breeds hmm I don't think she is bothered by colour

Ladyturmoil, it's the Facebook generation isn't it sad

Bubble2bubble Sat 23-Aug-14 18:03:00

Can't say I have ever noticed any other dogs having by problem with my black ones tbh. I always thought it was the dog's attitude which could give out the wrong vibe to others, rather than the colour.

Pippioddstocking Mon 25-Aug-14 07:07:33

My last two dogs were collies but neither great with children so I researched and a pointer was high energy but a total couch potatoe , very chilled out at home .
We run miles each day , he is great to train - agility no problem , but so much more " relaxed" than our previous BC .

DuchessofKirkcaldy Mon 25-Aug-14 07:40:38

I have a bc × goldie. ( not in my eyes a designer dog, just an accident on a farm hmm)
He is fantastic.

Cant believe black animals not being rescued as they don't look good in photos...how shallow shockangry

Owllady Mon 25-Aug-14 21:20:06

I have just seen Bonnie come up now, are they desperate for fosterers bubble? I am wondering whether my time could be spent more wisely doing that? And I'm quite good at getting dogs to the correct weight (unlike myself blush grin )

Bubble2bubble Mon 25-Aug-14 22:07:02

They usually are desparate for fosterers owl lady,and would certainly appreciate the offer. smile
Some of the dogs arriving in the UK go straight to their new homes, but if they have been in kennels or haven't found a home yet then they need a Uk foster family.
My dogs are super lean, people probably think I eat all their food ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now