What mix is my dog?

(19 Posts)
Mummyslittleduckie Mon 18-Aug-14 01:36:43

Hi, just a question really. My dog is 14 years old, adopted as a puppy from the RSPCA. I was told he was a cocker spaniel cross, I fell in love with him immediately and about two weeks later I picked him up from the RSPCA. I've always wanted to know whats he's crossed with though. Can anyone help? I have got a suspicion, but I really don't know. Thanks to anyone that could help.

darksideofthemooncup Mon 18-Aug-14 01:44:57

He looks more Springer than Cocker, maybe some retriever or Collie in the mix? And he is GORGEOUS :D

Mummyslittleduckie Mon 18-Aug-14 01:57:22

Thanks, he is! He's also the sweetest, kindest dog I've ever met.

darksideofthemooncup Mon 18-Aug-14 02:20:16

He looks very much like my Sammy dog, a complete loon of a Springer but utterly lovely. Enjoy him :D

SpicyBear Mon 18-Aug-14 07:38:36

I would have said springer collie X. Lovely whatever he is smile

SpicyBear Mon 18-Aug-14 07:39:05

I would have said springer collie X. Lovely whatever he is smile

BestIsWest Mon 18-Aug-14 07:41:04

Yes, looks very like my old springer/collie cross. Pics of his tail might help to identify him a bit more.

He is gorgeous.

Springcleanish Mon 18-Aug-14 07:41:48

Springer x collie, he looks like an older version of ours

Mummyslittleduckie Mon 18-Aug-14 11:35:55

So everyone thinks springer. That's kind of conclusive, isn't it! I also think he's got collie in him, because of his mane. I'll try and find a photo that includes his tail, but it's very bushy! Thanks everyone.

PurpleAlert Mon 18-Aug-14 11:52:18

Might have some working cocker in him- they look like springers but smaller.
Gorgeous!

Bubble2bubble Mon 18-Aug-14 12:22:12

I have two springer collies very like him - they look like smallish springers to most people

Gorgeous boy smile

OnlyLovers Mon 18-Aug-14 12:41:00

Aw, he's beautiful.

Agree with everyone else, he looks more like a springer than a cocker (although I don't think I've ever sen a working cocker), and there's something very Border Collie about his head shape, ear carriage and facial expression.

tabulahrasa Mon 18-Aug-14 12:54:52

He could be a cocker cross...definitely spaniel cross collie IMO though.

rembrandtsrockchick Mon 18-Aug-14 13:23:13

Cross between an Utterly Beautiful Springer and an Unbelievably Gorgeous Border Collie with a tough of Added Fabulousness.

moosemama Mon 18-Aug-14 16:55:42

I'd say Spring x Collie too. He has the lovely gentle look to his face/eyes of my old Border Collie x girl.

He's beautiful. smile

Mummyslittleduckie Mon 18-Aug-14 20:02:24

He wouldn't hurt a fly! He's a little nervous about dogs he doesn't know or "lively" dogs, but I think he's because he's only got three legs. He was rescued from a gypsy site with a shattered leg, the vets tried to save it, but they decided to amputate it because he was a puppy and he would do well without it.

Marrow Tue 19-Aug-14 10:33:12

He looks lovely smile If you really want to know what mix he is you can buy dog DNA testing kits. I keep trying to justify the cost to of them to myself so that we can find out what mix our dog is!

SpicyBear Tue 19-Aug-14 13:51:48

Nooo don't buy the DNA kit. They are absolute nonsense. I have seen them come back completely differently for two identical littermates and also ones for mutts that include such rare breeds that it can't possibly be correct.

JayBat Tue 19-Aug-14 16:58:00

I'd say springer x cocker - I see a lot in agility who look very similar :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now