Toilet dilemmas

(5 Posts)
Logarhythm Sat 16-Aug-14 06:18:21

Our new male pup arrives tomorrow and there are a few unresolved decisions to make regarding toileting.

Did you decide on a specific area in your garden and what made you decide on that area.
Did you lay down any substance to make it easier to lift without leaving poo behind, like grit or sand?
How do you dispose of it - composting loo buried in garden, flush it down the loo or chuck it in the wheelie bin outside?
Does your dog use a pee post and stick to the same area all the time in the garden.

Anything else I need to think about with regards to the toileting business?

soddinghormones Sat 16-Aug-14 07:13:49

Our pup had already been trained to toilet on grass when we got him so we didn't need to decide on surface - he chose one spot to poo in right from the start (always in the top left-hand corner of the grass - v handy as you don't have to keep an eagle eye out for stray bits of poo). We bag it and bin it - I seem to remember reading that you shouldn't flush it as sewage treatment plants can't treat parasites (but I may have been imagining that ...)

He wees on the grass but usually not in the same spot - his wee is pretty dilute so doesn't seem to smell

insanityscratching Sat 16-Aug-14 13:57:15

Eric has never been keen on toiletting in our garden and once he was immunised and being walked he stopped using the garden at all for toliletting.Now he does all pees and poops on his three walks a day and has done since he was about 4 months old so we pick up and dispose of it in the doggie bins whilst we are out.

Floralnomad Sat 16-Aug-14 15:47:12

We just took ours out onto the patio when he was a pup so that the grass didn't get ruined ,I always bag and bin and TBH he rarely poos in the garden now as he does it on walks . With the wee I keep a watering can with dettol diluted in it and wash it down as he goes . We have a large patio and have actually fenced it off with an ornamental fence as our terrier turned out to be a demon digger and isn't allowed on the grassy area unsupervised.

Logarhythm Sat 16-Aug-14 20:40:30

Does anyone teach their dog to toilet before a walk as the recommend in The Perfect Puppy Book?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now