target sticks

(5 Posts)
frownyface Thu 14-Aug-14 14:59:58

Hi, I was after some help please-does anyone use target sticks here for training? I ordered one off amazon but it was rubbish-any recommendations please?
My spaniels use the touch command already, but as im in a wheelchair I thought it would be a nice idea to train them to help with picking things up from off the floor. Any hints or tips greatly appreciated smile

kelpeed Sat 16-Aug-14 00:04:14

i have a piece of dowlling, cut to about 3 ft long. i dont think the shape of the stick matters, rather how you use it.

i have wrapped a yellow loom band about 1.5 inches from the end . i then smeared chicken in that area to attract the nose of dpup to that part of the stick. when DC broke the dowlling playing sword fights i temporarily used a regular garden stake or just a normal stick until i got to the hardware shop to replace the dowl.

I am also using a clicker. i found it easier for dog to get the click then treat if the dog moves towards to end of the stick from a stand rather than a sit, but it really doesnt matter.

i am finding the Morgan Spencer book , "clicker training for obedience" very helpful. he uses a target stick, in the book he mentioned that a commerical target stick wasnt necessary.

www.bookdepository.com/Clicker-Training-for-Obedience-Morgan-Spencer/9780962401787?selectCurrency=GBP

kelpeed Sat 16-Aug-14 00:20:21
frownyface Sat 16-Aug-14 06:42:00

Thankyou kelpeed smile am off to check out your links smile

PitchSlapped Sat 16-Aug-14 06:50:25

I have a clix target stick, I like the fact that it extends and closes up so I can have the dog closers or further away. Very useful to me since I use mine to teach my dog to walk on a show lead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now