Is a puppy a terrible idea?

(5 Posts)
runlikeagirl Wed 06-Aug-14 17:19:47

We have thought about a dog for ages. I had a lab/collie cross growing up, we had her from a puppy so I do know what is involved.

We have two dc (2 and almost 5). Dh works from home, I work 3 days a week. A friend has some Springer spaniel/labrador cross puppies.

Dh is keen, but a friend of mine said I would be mad to consider a puppy.

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Aug-14 17:21:39

I think you'd be mad tbh. Wait till the children are older, and then choose a calmer dog who will be content to hang out with dh while he works

NCISaddict Wed 06-Aug-14 17:41:03

I had a Springer puppy when my DC's were 2,5 and 7. It was fine but you have to make sure you make time to go to training classes, walk properly at least twice a day, not just a pootle round the block and that DH has time to actually spend with the dog during the days he's alone with it and possibly time to take it for a quick walk at lunch time.

anamenotanumber Wed 06-Aug-14 19:06:47

Agree - Dh needs to be careful to not assume the dog will sit there all day whilst he works as before. I made this mistake and have lost a good chunk of work time - maybe 1.5 or 2 hours a day between the walking, faffing, sorting out his lunch, checking he's not up to mischief etc.

I think it depends on you, your family and your tolerance levels. You know what you're capable of dealing with.

I would definitely not recommend buying a randomly bred cross breed without knowing that all relevant health tests had been done for both parents. And I would want to know how much planning went into the mating too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now