Collars

(12 Posts)
aleto Mon 04-Aug-14 13:58:00

We're getting our puppy in a couple of weeks time but we are complete novices. Can I ask when you would introduce a collar to a puppy? Straight away or wait a while? Do they then wear it all the time or only when they go out? I read somewhere that they shouldn't wear one when in their crate? Sorry for all the questions!!

EvenBetter Mon 04-Aug-14 15:55:08

Collars are just for displaying their tags, not attaching leads to, so it's up to you when you want the puppy to wear its tags.
My puppy is 11 months now and has never worn a collar, her tag is on her harness.

furrlinedsheepskinjacket Mon 04-Aug-14 16:09:11

we put a soft one on straight away but not really needed.

he's all grown up now and doesn't really wear one indoors.

AlpacaLypse Mon 04-Aug-14 16:14:49

I imagine the advice not to use a collar in the crate is due to the risk of her catching it somehow and strangling herself.

I'd start using a soft collar fairly soon, really just so she can start getting used to having it put on and taken off regularly.

I like the webbing ones that can be adjusted and then just snap on and off. Leather ones with buckles etc can look terribly smart but are a right faff!

Although if she's a Pointy Hound, she'll need a proper pointy hound collar, which are best in leather.

aleto Mon 04-Aug-14 16:25:58

He's a Labrador smile . Thank you for your advice. I assumed the lead attached to the collar, so that's something else I've learnt today!

fuckweasel Mon 04-Aug-14 16:32:40

Mine only ever wore collars when going out, never at home to stop the risk of getting caught, especially when play fighting. I had a tiny puppy collar to get them used to it. 'Lupine' collars are brilliant when older, lifetime guarantee and mine have had them for years and still going strong.

AlpacaLypse Mon 04-Aug-14 16:50:17

blush sorry to have assumed he was a she!

The other good reason to go for webbing is that you can machine wash it. And any half decent Labrador is going to befoul himself and his collar pretty regularly.

HorizontalRunningOnly Mon 04-Aug-14 18:09:25

I attach my dog lead to her collar.... Didn't realise this was odd now?? She has tags and is also micro chipped

WeAllHaveWings Mon 04-Aug-14 19:04:33

Collars are for attaching leads too (which is why they have a ring on them)

Obviously a dog should be trained not to choke itself on the lead.

Most dogs I see walking do not have harnesses.

If you are going to be using a long line you should use a harness to prevent neck injury, or if you have a puller who is chocking on the lead a harness or head collar (halti, dogmatic etc) can be used for training.

We have never used a harness . ddog never pulled excessively and we recall trained without a longline.

Lally112 Mon 04-Aug-14 19:11:16

Mine only wear collars when out in public, Dogs at work are not required by law to display a tag so most of the time they don't have them on.

aleto Mon 04-Aug-14 19:54:16

Thank you for your replies. I will go for a collar and lead and will probably do a few little training sessions with them in the house before he is able to go for walks.

LimeJellyHead Mon 04-Aug-14 20:06:36

I think Red Dingo collars and harnesses are great. They are very adjustable, lots of designs and go through the washing machine really well. They are not too wide either, so good all round.

I would always use a harness for dog walking and would never attach the lead to the collar. A harness is more comfortable for the dog, won't damage their neck and gives you better control too. IMO, a harness is a must. As already posted, the tag can go on the harness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now