Dog losing weight

(4 Posts)
Helgathehairy Sun 03-Aug-14 09:11:19

I took my Golden Retriever to the vet to have his annual vaccinations yesterday. He was 30kg, this time last year he was 34kg. The vet said he's basically perfect weight but to watch the weight loss as he really wouldn't want to lose any more.

Dog is just over 2 years now. The first year of his life he got colitis about 4 times and it took a while to treat each time. In the end the only food that worked was hills prescription. I've changed that in the last 6 months to Wafcol. The problem is dog doesn't seem to like it and will happily leave a full bowl of food for the day.

I live in a small town in Ireland and can't get Burns etc unless I order it and tbh I'm not organised enough for that!

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat? Or should I try Burns (or something)to see if he'll eat it?

Arudonto Sun 03-Aug-14 14:35:33

Burns is very very commonly found in vets and pet shops in Ireland have you had a good look around?
I say this as I am in the northwest of Ireland and can name 5 places within a 20 minute drive that sell it smile I would also recommend trying a sample first if hes very picky as theres no point buying a bag he wont eat! burns sensitive comes in pork and potato and duck and brown rice (If you email the burns website and ask about the food and which to buy, they'll send you out some free samples, a measuring cup and a really good booklet on dogs health if you want )

Otherwise ordering off zooplus.ie can be a lifesaver in terms of saving money if you keep an eye out for promotions.but yes it does need some organisation

I wouldnt give any supermaket food to a dog who has had serious issues with colitis.Its asking for trouble.

Floralnomad Sun 03-Aug-14 14:41:35

Can you get chappie ,that's supposed to be good for dogs with colitis ,if you want to stick with something you can get in a supermarket.

Helgathehairy Sun 03-Aug-14 15:33:36

He's doing really well on the Wafcol (digestion wise), it's not really supermarket food, it's potato and salmon.

We only have one local pet shop but I will try vet shops. I hadn't really thought of them as I'm in a rural location and they mostly sell farm animal related stuff!

I need a dry food, not going the Chappie route

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now