Male or Female?

(4 Posts)
Florin Sun 03-Aug-14 07:35:51

After lots of discussion we have decided to start looking for a puppy. We are looking for a working cocker spaniel. Does anyone have an opinion on male or female? My family have always only had female dogs but not sure if it matters.
Would it be a problem if we got a boy if we were to visit or stay over night with my parents who have 2 female dogs and possibly also my sister who also has 2 female dogs so could possibly all 5 dogs together for family celebration (all dogs would be a similar size). We would obviously get either sex neutered.

soddinghormones Sun 03-Aug-14 08:07:25

We had a similar question this time last year - I'd originally wanted a girl as our childhood dogs had been bitches but the only puppies available at the time were boys (rare breed so if we'd not gone for a boy we might have had to wait another 6 months for a girl)

So we brought home a little boy puppy last September and it's been absolutely fine. There have been no issues at all with him being a boy and his best doggy friends are all girls so I can't see there'd be any problems with your family's dogs

insanityscratching Sun 03-Aug-14 13:16:34

We have a boy too mainly because I'm a bit squeamish at the thoughts of a bitch having a season blush he loves bitches and they seem happy to put him in his place if he oversteps the mark it seems.

Floralnomad Sun 03-Aug-14 13:20:49

If you are having them neutered I can't see any problems ,personally I would always go for a boy simply because all the nicest natured dogs my family has owned have been boys ( past and current) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now