dog going blind

(8 Posts)
longjourney Fri 18-Jul-14 11:35:06

my dog is 11 i took him to the vet about a month ago as his eyes were looking cloudy , she said he has cataracts and will be blind in 6 months , in the last week he has walked into a bin , lamp post , walls and tripping over steps , so it seems to be happening quicker than first thought , apart from not moving anything in the house or garden is there anything else people do for their blind dogs to make life easier for them .

WeAllHaveWings Fri 18-Jul-14 14:26:01

sorry don't know anything about this other than I remember on is ds's friends parents saying their westie had cataracts removed. Can they be removed?

Costacoffeeplease Fri 18-Jul-14 14:45:56

We have two almost blind dogs, one due to old age (he's about 17) and the other lost her sight overnight due to a brain tumour 3 years ago. We haven't done anything specific, and furniture does get moved around occasionally but they both manage really well and only rarely bump into things now. I never thought I could have coped with a blind dog, but we honestly hardly notice now, and they're both still happy in their own way, get excited about going for a walk etc, so hopefully he will be fine once he adjusts

Floralnomad Fri 18-Jul-14 14:50:15

My friend has a young dog that went blind due to diabetes ,he's adapted very well as long as you don't keep moving furniture about .

longjourney Fri 18-Jul-14 15:51:39

thank you , the vet didnt advise getting them removed ,i dont think i could put him through an op at his age , glad to hear they do adjust to it , he does seem happy , but his hearing isnt great so he does get startled a bit when you walk past , just so awful thinking he can probably only see shapes and shadows but soon will be blackness , my other dog is younger and a bit bouncy around him and knocks him about , so im hoping he will realise soon and be a bit calmer around him .

Our JRT has cataracts & very poor vision & is deaf,she is 17,so it's just because of old age.We don't move any big furniture around,as she would walk into it.She often walks into open cupboard doors & misjudges the pavement or steps if jumping up too.
But it really hadn't massively impacted on her life,we just have to take a bit more care with her.Fogs adapt amazingly well to disabilities.

I obviously meant dogs not fogs!!!

Costacoffeeplease Fri 18-Jul-14 16:16:06

I read somewhere that for a dog to lose his sight would be similar to us losing our sense of smell, so their nose is more important to them than their eyes - think of it that way and it doesn't seem so bad for them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now