Puppy is having a phantom pregnancy for FUCKS SAKE

(6 Posts)
EvenBetter Sat 12-Jul-14 01:38:46

Ten month old puppy finished her first and last season at the end of April, because apparently it's good for them to be neutered once they're fully mature and get the benefit of the hormones blah blah.
She's booked in for spaying at the end of July, and now it seems she's having a phantom pregnancy.

Morning sickness
Swollen boobs (will probably lactate soon)
Not eating
Lethargic but still enjoying walkies
Mothering her toys
Trying to build a nest

There's no discharge and she's not in pain, but this is all too much for her to handle, all these surging fucking hormones in her short life, if I'd known it was quite common for dogs to get phantom pregnancies I would've had her neutered before her first season. I thought I was doing something beneficial for her and now feel guilty and she's demented.
Never again! Future uteruses out at 6 months!

Lilcamper Sat 12-Jul-14 10:09:59

Bless her, get her to the vet for some galastop. Let her mother her toys. It'll soon pass.

ClaimedByMe Sat 12-Jul-14 10:38:19

We were advised to not let our dog mother her toys or build a nest but she is a rescue dog who was having a phantom pregnancy AFTER being spayed she leaked milk everywhere, we got stuff from the vets to help her!

Hope it's over soon for both her and you.

jenmcspen Sat 12-Jul-14 11:05:46

This happened with our lab. The vet had advised to wait until after first season to get her spayed (apparently better for development in larger breeds). She had a phantom pregnancy and was a bit mopey and fed up for a while too. She was producing milk so the vet have us the option of galastop or waiting for nature to take its course. We opted to wait and she was fine soon after. Am glad after reading up on galastop. We then waited till after her next season, no further phantom, and had her speyed. It's annoying and upsetting at the time, but it passes pretty quickly.

EvenBetter Sat 12-Jul-14 11:24:07

Phew, I thought I was going to get roasted for not having her spayed yet! I hope this doesn't effect her personality for life, like make her forever yearn for puppies, or be whiny and nesty.
I read not to let them mother toys, but I'd feel bad taking them all away, I'm just not encouraging the behaviour and distracting her with treats and cuddles.
She's tried to make nests from a cardboard box, a dried up leaf and blankets! Bless! It's a public holiday here so the vets won't be open again till Tuesday probably. Bah.

jenmcspen Sat 12-Jul-14 11:58:28

Don't worry, our lab was back to her usual self in no time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now