Gsd with nasty ear infection

(6 Posts)
LocalEditorEssex Fri 11-Jul-14 20:09:50

Jess is 6 and was shaking her head earlier and had it dropping to one side. One vet trip later and she has had it cleaned (that was fun! ) and has drops and anti flammatories as other ear is also inflamed.
She is obviously quite down and having looked her inner ear has been bleeding a little since the vet visit. How long will the drops take to kick in to action? Can I do anything to help her? She has to go back in two weeks. Thanks.

Owllady Fri 11-Jul-14 20:14:01

They work really quick iirc
Just make sure when you put the stuff in you give the ear a good old rub from the outside iykwim

I love cleaning out dogs ears blush she will be fine x

LocalEditorEssex Fri 11-Jul-14 20:22:28

Thank you smile you odd ear cleaning person !
The vet did show me how to add the drops and massage her ear. It just looks so red and raw now sad I know what ear ache is like for us and just thinking she must be in some pain.

Adarajames Fri 11-Jul-14 20:39:24

something to watch with dogs, but GSD particularly, if there is any wheat in their diet, it can cause intolerance including ear, eye and skin issues, worth considering and cutting out if not already done, can help smile

LocalEditorEssex Fri 11-Jul-14 21:08:05

She will only eat tinned food in jelly blush she is a crap eater ! I will check the wheat content in it tomorrow. Although would it take six years to show up?
Vet mentioned all sorts of tests if this keeps happening, which is fine with me just want to know what is causing her discomfort.
Having looked yet again her inner ear is full of liquid. sad

Adarajames Fri 11-Jul-14 22:54:43

like humans, dogs can acquire food intolerances / allergies at any age, and wheat is a very common one as their digestive systems aren't designed to cope with grains like ours are. A species appropriate diet, meat and bones basically, can often clear up all sorts of low level issues.

Problem with ear issues is once they have them, the dog will scratch at it or shake its head repeatedly to try and relieve it, which of course only adds to the issue! I feel for you and the poor hound

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now