Your thoughts on these breeds...

(6 Posts)
FatewiththeLeadPiping Thu 10-Jul-14 22:52:27

DP and I finally agreed on getting a dog last year, put it on a hold for a bit, and are now in a position to welcome a dog over next few months. He has owned a dog in the past and works from home. I work shifts.

At the moment there is potentially a choice between a 3-4 year old retriever or a King Charles spaniel puppy in a few months.

We are both well aware of the demands of a puppy - DPs old dog, and I have helped with friend's in past. We love both these breeds; we have no children, have house garden etc..

Thoughts on breeds/ age etc?

CastilianHhhhidalgo Thu 10-Jul-14 23:19:13

Do you mean a Cavalier King Charles or an actual King Charles?

King Charles are not common at all, I think there were less than 200 registered with the KC last year. Getting one may require a fair bit of travelling and being on a waiting list for quite a while.

Cavaliers are much more common but unfortunately the breed suffers from high rates of some very nasty inherited diseases. It can be very, very difficult to find a breeder who is doing everything they can to minimise the potential for such conditions being passed on to their puppies. There's some good information regarding the health of the breed on the Cavalier Health website and the Cavalier Club site. Like a lot of toy breeds they've become real puppy farm fodder but with the added complication of the potential health problems sad

MummyBeerest Thu 10-Jul-14 23:25:31

I don't know much about King Charleses. However, for me, a retriever wins every time. Lab or Golden?

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Jul-14 23:33:34

I like Cavs and considered one myself some years ago but the health issues put me off. I recall looking into life expectancy and it being something like seven or eight years (this was a while ago though) and that was the final straw for the breed with me.

My friend has one who is about eight I think, he suffers terribly with his joints and back and costs a fortune in medication each month.

GobblersKnob Fri 11-Jul-14 05:57:08

I met someone a breeder with six King Charles Spaniels the other day, I have to say I was quite taken with them, having not meet any before, they seemed far more spaniel-ly than a Cav, and they all had the most gorgeous temperaments.

It's hard to advise as so much is personal preference and your circumstances, what do you want from a dog and what are you able to provide?

soddinghormones Fri 11-Jul-14 08:05:23

I'd go for the retriever now rather than a King Charles puppy in a few months

Do you know the dog at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now