SIL cannot sell puppies - What next?

(110 Posts)
Confusedandazed Thu 10-Jul-14 22:11:28

Hi, my SIL's dog got pregnant by accident. They own father and another dog. It is a mixed breed - part german shepherd part husky with other breeds thrown into the mix. There are 9 puppies, 3 have sold. But the other six are not budging. Added complication is that they are now 7 weeks old and I know the window of opportunity to sell will be getting smaller as they get older. They are cute pups but very large.

What can she do? Obviously she cannot keep them....

Debs75 Thu 10-Jul-14 22:13:17

Is there any interest at all? If so how about dropping the price and giving them away?
Would they be suitable for police work?

buggerboooo Thu 10-Jul-14 22:13:42

So they own mum and dad?

kilmuir Thu 10-Jul-14 22:14:31

Hardly by accident if animals not neutered!

itiswhatitiswhatitis Thu 10-Jul-14 22:14:58

Contact a rescue centre and get them re homed responsibly?

YouLoveItDoreen Thu 10-Jul-14 22:15:36

A local rescue may be able to help, if they are not swamped already? I'm sure they would be understanding, do you think SIL could make a donation to them for their assistance if they were able to take a few pups? Or try advertising them in local vets etc, if you haven't already.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 22:15:46

Agree - wjy arent they neutered?

Also, do they need to be "sold"? I thought pets were fpund lovely homes not buyers.

KatieKaye Thu 10-Jul-14 22:17:09

Why is she wanting money for the pups, rather than a good home?
Have they had their injections/health checks from a vet?
are both parents available for prospective owners to meet and do they clean bills of health, backed up by vets records?

These are the sorts of questions I'd be asking.

And is she getting her remaining dogs neuterd to avoid a repetition?

Accident my arse.

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 10-Jul-14 22:17:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NatashaGurdin Thu 10-Jul-14 22:18:48

I think a 'free to good homes' advert brings its own problems ThinkIveBeenHacked sad

ender Thu 10-Jul-14 22:19:43

Yes she should give them away, but only to a good rescue that will make sure they're rehomed safely. Most rescues have a waiting list of people who want to adopt a puppy.

McBear Thu 10-Jul-14 22:19:47

Erm, aren't they ideally meant to stay til twelve weeks anyway?

I have an idea, why don't you put a thread on mumsnet talking about what dogs they are and how many are for sale. Sort of like a surreptitious advert...

buggerboooo Thu 10-Jul-14 22:20:28

I think she must be a fucking idiot to have a dog and bitch together and not manage to work out that puppies will result.

She must be really bloody stupid not to have taken them to the vet for an injection to abort the pups before it was too late.

I would think she might as well go and save time by having at least half put down now- loads of expensive, well thought out pedigrees end up in rescues and put to sleep. Even more mongerals end up that way.

In case you have not noticed breeding willy fucking nilly realy pisses me off.

Poor dogs

itiswhatitiswhatitis Thu 10-Jul-14 22:21:28

I don't know how much she's charging but I doubt many people will spend a lot of money on a Heinz 57 mutt.

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 10-Jul-14 22:21:59

She accidentally forgot she owned two entire dogs of opposite sexes?

I have to say that's the most unconvincing excuse I've heard to date.

Tell to stop making money from exploiting and endangering her bitch and contact a reputable rescue to help clean up her mess.

Poor dogs.

McBear Thu 10-Jul-14 22:23:24

I bet people will spend for them. My mum spent over £500 for a labradoodle last year. A fucking labradoodle. She was also looking at basset hounds x mastiff for much more... angry

The world is full of morons. Full.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Thu 10-Jul-14 22:25:56

But these aren't even fashionable cross breeds, they are a jumble of breeds which can be found ten a penny in rescue centres.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 22:27:28

Sorry I meant through a sort of service - rescue shelter etc, rather than, say, just "putting the ad on FB"

CalamityKate1 Thu 10-Jul-14 22:29:53

Try to find a rescue to take them.
Get the bloody dogs neutered.

God, people are revolting.

Confusedandazed Thu 10-Jul-14 22:31:32

Thank you for ideas smile She has dropped price from £400 to £325. Male dog is now neutered. They are not vaccinated as yet. She was worried rescue wouldn't take them as it is their fault it happened. Both parents in good shape, not sure on vets records. Been given vets check.

NickiFury Thu 10-Jul-14 22:32:41

You'd be surprised how much people are willing to pay for the "Right" cross breed.

I don't believe for a second that wasn't aware and wasn't hoping to get the standard £150 - 300 per puppy that consist predominantly of two GLAMOUROUS breeds mixed together might be likely to bring.

Tell her congrats on being yet another selfish idiot breeding dogs to add to the thousands that are being killed every day because no one wants them.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Thu 10-Jul-14 22:33:19

Oh please....

NickiFury Thu 10-Jul-14 22:34:04

Wow! I underestimated there didn't I? Tell me, what was she advertising them as? How did she describe them?

Are you hoping for some buyers on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now