Any vets around? Piriton syrup for dog having allergic reaction

(18 Posts)
MagratGarlik Wed 09-Jul-14 22:59:46

Our whippy is having an allergic reaction to something. We funny know what, but recognise it because he's had one before. His face has become swollen and after the last reaction, the vet gave him piriton. He have some in the cupboard, but I've no idea about dose for a 15kg whippet.

Can anyone give any ideas?

MagratGarlik Wed 09-Jul-14 23:01:03

Gah, stupid phone mangling my typing! We don't know what not we funny know what!!!

DramaAlpaca Wed 09-Jul-14 23:07:22

I'm not a vet, but when our 18kg springer had an allergic reaction to something, our vet said to give her one piriton tablet.

Hopefully one of the MN vets will be along soon to advise you.

MagratGarlik Wed 09-Jul-14 23:10:40

Thanks. We've got syrup. One tablet is roughly the equivalent of 5ml of syrup isn't it?

DramaAlpaca Wed 09-Jul-14 23:18:10

Oh gosh, I missed that you said syrup in your title, sorry.

I had a quick look on netdoctor.co.uk. It says 5ml of syrup is the equivalent of half a tablet.

MagratGarlik Wed 09-Jul-14 23:22:17

Thanks. I'll try 2.5ml and see if that's enough.

CastilianHhhhidalgo Wed 09-Jul-14 23:22:37

Can you ring the vets to check whether the syrup is ok? Although it's the same anti histamine I'd want to check whether the other ingredients were ok for dogs before using the syrup rather than tablets.

MagratGarlik Wed 09-Jul-14 23:30:12

I remember our regular vet saying previously that the syrup was OK, but don't remember the dose.

My vet told me to give Piriton - my girl is about 11kg and he recommended 5ml if that helps.

Adarajames Fri 11-Jul-14 20:45:53

piriton is fine, syrup or tablet smile Hope it goes down soon!

musicposy Fri 11-Jul-14 22:06:10

Yes, we were told to give 5ml/ 1 tablet to our 10kg Jack Russell cross. It seems to be a much higher dose for dogs than it would for the same weight human. Last allergic reaction she had vet said to give her a second tablet if necessary.
She's allergic to bee stings and the first time her face swelled up and she strughled to breathe it was terrifying. Stupid dog does not learn from experience though and still chases bees. I have to be very vigilant.

MagratGarlik Fri 11-Jul-14 23:24:28

Thanks all.

I gave him 5 ml in the end and he started to deflate within half an hour. He looked slightly puffy yesterday, but seems back to normal today. Still no idea what caused the reaction, I'm just glad he's OK. I have to say, he's been lapping up the extra attention!

DramaAlpaca Fri 11-Jul-14 23:27:26

Glad to hear he's OK, Magrat.

musicposy Fri 11-Jul-14 23:41:08

Glad he's ok. :-)
Ours always looks puffy for some while afterwards.
DD1 is anaphylactic to peanuts so discovering we have an allergic dog too was a bit much! I thought we were the only ones so it's reassuring that this is actually more common in dogs than I thought.

DramaAlpaca Fri 11-Jul-14 23:45:40

My friend's lab is allergic to bee stings to the extent that he fits when he gets stung. And yes, like musicposy's dog, the silly mutt still insists on chasing bees & sticking his nose into flower beds.

SistersOfPercy Fri 11-Jul-14 23:48:40

I used piriton tablets regularly with my late westie. He'd have bouts of itchy ear (the common westie skin problems) and for his 10kg weight I'd give him half a tablet and the other half a few hours later. Always did the trick.

MagratGarlik Fri 11-Jul-14 23:50:26

Ha - musicposy, both our ds's have multiple allergies (ds2 carries an epipen for milk), so to find one of the dogs has allergies was just <sigh, it could only happen to us>

I'm wondering if it is spiders which affect him. He's ok with bee stings, but he's had a reaction 3 times now and each time has been given nothing unusual to eat, so I'm thinking he's catching spiders.

SistersOfPercy Fri 11-Jul-14 23:57:20

Our Scott was a spider catcher, he'd pounce and eat the bloody thing before anyone had chance to react. Fortunately he didn't seem to be allergic to them or I'd have kept piriton in business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now