Is it unfair to walk my dog at 05:15?

(13 Posts)
loveulotslikejellytots Tue 08-Jul-14 19:00:12

I'm desperately trying to loose weight, so I want to fit in a gym session before work i'd need to be there at 06:00 when it opens.

I'd do an hour at the gym then come home and have about an hour to get showered and changed ready to be at work at 8:15.

5 out of 7 days I have to walk our dog, DH does the other 2. He has a 45 minute walk every morning and night. To fit in the gym in the morning I'd need to be out with him at 5 ish. DH thinks this is too early. It will stop when the clocks change anyway as it will be too dark.

Opinions?

throckenholt Tue 08-Jul-14 19:08:02

Fine - if you are happy to be up that early - the dog will quickly get used to it. Not sure it will so happily stop when it gets dark though.

And will you have enough stamina to do the gym after the walk ? Would be much cheaper just to take the dog for a longer walk smile

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 19:12:15

I'm sure the dog wont mind what time it is but is he alone from 6 til evening time (6pm?) every day?

You could adjust your gym hour to 45 minutes and shower and dress at the gym, go to work from there so you wouldnt need to be there til 7 ish.

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 08-Jul-14 19:18:44

To be honest in not sure I'll last long, but I can probably do until the clocks change. I'm an early bird, up by 5 most mornings anyway. A longer walk would be good, but I've got a programme from a personal trainer I'm trying to stick to.

Stop - no I'd've going home after the gym, it's only a mile away. Dog is left from 8 - 11 each day. I have to go into an office during those hours. He has access to garden in this time. I then work from home until 5pm. He's walked again when I finish.

Will adjusting him back be a problem? I never thought about that.

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 08-Jul-14 19:19:13

I'd be not i'd've

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 19:29:16

When you adjust him back after the clocks change he'll still be getting his walk just an hour later wont he? Or do you mean you'll be dropping the morning walk when the clocks change and still be going to the gym?

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 08-Jul-14 20:18:01

No he still gets 2 walks a day regardless of the time of year, but in the winter I tend to get ready for work then walk him. But this time of year I walk him then shower and change etc.

TippiShagpile Tue 08-Jul-14 20:20:06

Not sure why it wouldn't be fair.

Dogs love going for walks at any time, surely?

And the early morning smells and sounds at that time of the morning are wonderful.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 20:30:42

Cant forsee any problem then, he'll adjust easily i think.

Owllady Tue 08-Jul-14 21:08:08

They don't care what time it is!

throckenholt Wed 09-Jul-14 07:36:46

I think being out that early will be wonderful for you both then given you are up early anyway smile (personally I would pick that over the gym anytime smile).

moosemama Wed 09-Jul-14 12:45:27

I used to walk mine at 5.00 am every day years ago and they loved it. They had the place to themselves and had a blast free-running the whole time we were out.

It's actually even better in the winter when you are the first out in the new fallen snow and get to watch the sun-rising and the world waking up. smile

I'd still do it now if I wasn't so old and creaky that it takes me a couple of hours to wake loosen up every morning. blush

What are you doing at the gym? Could your dog run with you as a cardio exercise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now