Eden dog food

(6 Posts)
Galaxy84 Tue 08-Jul-14 15:43:23

I switched my puppy over to Eden three weeks ago from Royal Canin. He has been eating Eden exclusively for 2 weeks.

He is fouling much less than when he was on royal canin, but the stools are much softer, messier and not showing signs of firming up. He also appears to be hungry even after a meal, but i am sticking to the feeding guide.

I need to think about whether to buy another bag of this food or switch to something else. I was hoping someone might have some advice?

WeAllHaveWings Tue 08-Jul-14 18:03:34

We had our lab pup on Eden from about 15 weeks old until 7 months.

Stools never firmed (and the wind was awful) up even after many calls with Eden, reducing quantities, trying pro-biotics and various other suggestions.

If you google around the internet you will see its quite common, although its an excellent food it just doesn't suit some dogs. Some say its too high protein other the method of manufacture.

We switched to Millies Wolfheart and he had fantastic poos (compared to the previous slop) and fresh air within 3 days! Was so good I binned 3/4 of a £50 bag of Eden.

Maybe try reducing the quantity (but watch his weight) as I have heard loose stools can be because they are getting to much protein, but if it doesn't work soon don't preserve for too long (all this detoxing stuff that I fell for from Eden is crap imho).

WeAllHaveWings Tue 08-Jul-14 18:05:45

Oh.... if you join the Millies fb group and mention problems with Eden you'll have lots of people saying "me too"

Galaxy84 Tue 08-Jul-14 18:37:02

Thanks for the info. Do you have to buy mwh online? They have so many varieties, I'm not sure which would be best. my puppy is 13 weeks.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 08-Jul-14 18:58:16

Yes, online only but delivery is usually very reliable.

I started on countryside mix (without fish) as I thought the fish might be causing the problem. We now usually have countryside and salmon and veg mixed in. This is quite popular.

Riverside is a good starter too, although we get a slight bit of whiffy wind with it (but not the salmon).

A lot of the other varieties are quite new especially the 50/50 ones which are for agility dogs or dogs who struggle to keep weight on/need more carbs/calories

Join the FB group its really active/friendly and you can ask any feeding questions. The owners mark and June are around a lot if you ask open questions on the page and lots of others join in too with their experiences.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 08-Jul-14 18:59:59

I think All food are suitable from weaning (puppy food is really just dog food with more/better proteins which millies is anyway)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now