good homemade treats for recall training

(16 Posts)
catstolemypants Tue 08-Jul-14 14:33:30

puppies extra special treats are reserved only for recall and off lead training he's a 17 week old cairn terrier at the moment his favorite is very small morsels of cheese he;s doing incredibly well and is super off lead but in order to keep interest i want to find some other things to make him adore coming back to me lol. We use other bits and pieces in house for other training sit roll over down etc etc(mostly just his kibble silly dog) so i like something super smelly/tasty for special training tia

ADishBestEatenCold Tue 08-Jul-14 14:40:24

I have always been a fan of cold grilled sausages, cut up into small pieces, as an off-lead training treat.

In fact I've had total strangers' dogs appearing out of nowhere, to fall adoringly at my feet, when I'm recalling with a pocket full of sausage! grin

MothershipG Tue 08-Jul-14 14:40:50

Liver cake, warmed hot dogs, smoked salmon, blue cheese rind, variety is good.

You also need a release command so he doesn't come back, grab his treat, and hare off again, we made that mistake. smile We use 'go play'. When you get to the park and take the lead off keep him in a sit until you give him permission to 'go play' and the same when you recall.

MothershipG Tue 08-Jul-14 14:42:36

Oh and a little treat for an easy recall but higher reward if he comes back from a distraction or at top speed with a sit finish! grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 08-Jul-14 15:05:43

Lidl chorizo or their pepperami alikes floats my dogs boat massively. More convenient than cooking sausages specially, and dead cheap

moosemama Tue 08-Jul-14 16:30:08

Liver cake (you can make similar using sardines or pilchards so it's nice and stinky) warm sausages and the occasional jackpot of an Applaws cat food pot here. I also keep a tube of primula spread in my pocket, as it's a great reward, they love it and you don't get stinky greasy fingers.

Mine are currently favouring Tesco bitesize Lincolnshire sausages. Very convenient as they come in a resealable pack, so I just stick them in the freezer, then grab a few, shove them in the microwave and chop them into smaller pieces shortly before our walk every day.

I also get regularly mugged for my treats by other people's dogs. grin

TheFisherKing Tue 08-Jul-14 20:32:53

Some great ideas, thank you.

kelpeed Wed 09-Jul-14 00:33:10

is there a recipe for liver cake?

Gooner123 Wed 09-Jul-14 09:42:31

Probably a daft question but i've seen this on here before and always wondered. Why a treat of a cat food pouch? Why not dog food? Genuinley asking.

moosemama Wed 09-Jul-14 15:04:40

I suppose you could use dog food, if you could find one that has decent enough ingredients - but the only one I can find in the right size, that has good enough ingredients is one particular type of Butchers and it's too thick and pate like for them to be able to snaffle it up quickly. I did try once, but Pip just got frustrated that he couldn't get it out of the pot.

The cat food brand I use come in a little plastic tray, rather than a pouch, so I can just rip the lid of and put the tray down - I think a pouch may be too messy for me. I also prefer fishy varieties, as they're stinkier and therefore usually more a of a treat.

I see smile Nosey aren't I! blush

moosemama Wed 09-Jul-14 16:09:02

Not at all, if you don't ask you'll never know. smile

littlewhitebag Thu 10-Jul-14 09:00:15

The things which my lab likes best and will always come for is plain old roast chicken. It's good as it doesn't make your pocket stink and is easy to get hold of. No idea why she doesn't prefer really stinky treats.

kinkymouse Thu 10-Jul-14 09:12:23

Left over roast beef/chicken with occasional hotdogs chopped into bits and put in the freezer. I grab a handful as I leave and they are defrosted in my pocket by the time I get my off lead destination.

But I love the idea of primular cheese tube. I'm off to buy one for this afternoons walk.

JustAShopGirl Thu 10-Jul-14 09:16:22

we keep the crispy chicken skin from the roast - dog goes crazy for it.

Also we randomise reward - sometimes they get a little reward for coming back, sometimes an over-the-top big one - seems to give him more incentive to return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now