Joint problems and supplements

(10 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Tue 08-Jul-14 02:57:18

Just wondering if there are supplements proven to prevent occurences of joints and arthritis problems? Or are they simply supplements used to alleviate the symptoms? If there are, would you start supplementing from a young age if you have a breed that is prone to joint problems?

Bonnefoi Tue 08-Jul-14 05:13:03

Cortaflex is brilliant. Used this for both our old dogs. Pricey but seemed to help.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 08-Jul-14 07:34:53

The only clinical trials are for omega 3 and 6 as being true effective. These are what I give my own dog as he does agility to hopefully have some protective effect as he is an athlete.

MarcoPoloCX Tue 08-Jul-14 07:50:37

Someone I know already supplements her young dogs with glucosamine but they are working dogs. So I guess for an average house pet, there aren't the benefits or proven benefits to take it when there's nothing wrong?

EasyToEatTiger Tue 08-Jul-14 09:41:03

Our dogs have had cartrophen injections which can be amazing.

MarcoPoloCX Tue 08-Jul-14 09:58:33

But as a preventative measure, you would only use oils high in omega 3 and 6?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 08-Jul-14 12:53:38

Marco Omegas are the only supplement that has any evidence to back up claims of 'protecting' joints in any form. There has never been a study on glucosamines or chondrotin.

affafantoosh Tue 08-Jul-14 14:48:49

As I understand it the human studies about glucosamine and chondroitin are pretty unconvincing. Some humans (and some pretty owners) claim they see beneficial effects when taking it but I don't believe this is supported by science. And there's no evidence of protective effects.

affafantoosh Tue 08-Jul-14 14:49:37

*PET owners! Dyac!

WhatsTheEffingPoint Thu 10-Jul-14 09:41:43

My boy would develop limps after walks, the vet we saw said to give glucosamine and cod liver oil tabs (you can give glucosamine tabs that a human would take but she did say that a dogs body can't always absorb enough of the glucosamine as it doesnt break down the same way it does in a human body).

Any way turns out my boy had very bad elbows so an operation later he is now on Cod Liver Oil tabs and Yumove tablets (that are cheaper to buy online then through the vets)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now