Would it be ok to feed this to my dogs ( out of date chicken )?

(12 Posts)
marne2 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:35:59

Just went to cook the chicken and realised it's dated to use by the 13th ( slightly pissed off as that was the day I bought it ), this chicken was going to last us for 2 meals so will now have to buy another. Anyway, it seems a shame to chuck it away, would it be ok to cook for the dogs?

gamerchick Mon 16-Jun-14 09:38:24

Well you can cook it but if it's off it'll stink as it's cooking and probably get chucked out anyway.

Does it smell off or look off?

Xcountry Mon 16-Jun-14 09:39:31

yes it will be fine.

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 09:41:37

I would for larger dogs but not tiny ones. Big dogs seem to have very strong stomachs for that kind of thing.

Fullpleatherjacket Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:32

Dogs eat shit and puke and live so I would if it smelt OK but I'm not a dog owner or any kind of expert so feel free to ignore me grin

marne2 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:43:53

I havn't had a sniff yet, will open it and see if it smells, it's not for small dogs ( for a Staffie and a lab ), trouble is, of I open it and it stinks it will be stuck in my bin for a while as rubbish was collected today grin, don't want a stinking chicken in my bin.

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 09:48:21

full When my labradoodle was a puppy he went through a wonderful stage of eating his own shite. He once stole and ate 6 chocolate brownies and was fine just a bit hyperactive for a while. Labs will eat anything grin

gamerchick Mon 16-Jun-14 09:49:56

If its off put it in a few bags and stick in the freezer until next bin day if you have room.

marne2 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:50:49

Yep, sadly my lab will eat his own shit and any dead animals that the cat brings him, so out of date chicken should be fine, I will cook it and they can have some tonight, will save me a few £ on dog food and make up for the fact I have to buy another chicken.

marne2 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:56:45

Have put it in the oven, smells fine and looks fine ( tempted to feed it to dh tonight, but I won't ), will take as much meat off as I can for the dogs and then freeze the remainder until bin collection day.

HoneyDragon Mon 16-Jun-14 09:59:14

My Labrador consumes all out of date must in this house. grin

Well actually I consume most out of date stuff, she gets anything suited for her much shorter guts than mine.

HoneyDragon Mon 16-Jun-14 09:59:33

*stuff not must

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now