Bit of a rant! So sad - having a dog pts because they can't be bothered finding another home :(

(22 Posts)
bookishandblondish Sun 10-Aug-14 17:38:31

It could be the matched child having allergies rather than anything to do with the specific dog.

QueenQueenie Sun 22-Jun-14 09:37:26

That's fantastic that you can help.
Makes me feel worried for the child this person wants to adopt hmm. Will they get rehomed if circs change? If I was the sw I would be a lot more worried by this than by the dog!

LST Sat 21-Jun-14 10:41:24

Oh that's brill. When can you get him. I love collies

KiwiJude Fri 20-Jun-14 00:33:18

Yay!! smile

Just sent a message to say I'll take the dog smile

GrouchyKiwi Mon 16-Jun-14 09:41:22

Hope that works out for you and the dog!

MitchellMummy Mon 16-Jun-14 09:31:20

That's brilliant news! Really two dogs don't make much more mess than one ... if you're vacuuming up dog hair it's not a big deal. Really hope it works out, how lovely of you to take on this dog.

Owllady Mon 16-Jun-14 07:49:59

Fingers crossed

KaFayOLay Mon 16-Jun-14 07:03:10

That would be a lovely outcome for the dog. Hope the LL is agreeable.

Well I've had some amazing news this afternoon and will be moving house at some point to a place where I can have as many dogs as I want... Just not sure how soon this will happen and whether I will get away with having two dogs here in the meantime, but I'm going to go cap in hand to my landlord tomorrow and explain the situation!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 15-Jun-14 16:21:15

All very strange I know several families who have adopted and fostered and dogs are normally seen as a good thing as they are non-judgemental and provide and steady non- demanding prescence. They also make great confidants.

I could take him temporarily but not sure how long I'd get away with before my landlord decided it was permanent and I don't want to find myself homeless with two dogs!

I don't know the full story Owllady as it's a friend of a friend, but from what I know he's a good dog (my friend does know the dog pretty well, but she's not able to take him hence asking me). He's used to kids and other dogs, his recall off lead is fine, not an escape artist, pulls like a tank on the lead and is pretty excitable with visitors but calms down quickly. He's crate trained and used to being left for a couple of hours; no barking or crying that I know of. He's just such a young dog to not be given a chance sad

Owllady Sun 15-Jun-14 15:56:44

Why on earth has the sw specified the dog has to go?confused
There are quite a few border collie rescues. Spot, wiccs, bct, valgreys. I think non collie rescues are reluctant to take on collies because they hate being in kennels. Can you take him temporarily?
If you can't I might be able to, but only for a month.
Is he okay with other dogs?
With children?
Is he okay with a lowly enclosed garden?
If not, I may not be able to any way but I do think it's worth noting his temperament etc on here as I am sure he won't need to be pts

East Midlands. I've pointed them in the direction of Border Collie Rescue in Rugely as I know they're pretty good.

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 15-Jun-14 15:07:28

What area are you / they in?

MitchellMummy Sun 15-Jun-14 15:06:09

That's awful. There are plenty of border collie rescues, I think. Plus you could also put something on agilitynet.co.uk - many agility people have collies. At such a young age I'm sure he'll be snapped up. I don't have collies, but if this were my breed I'm sure folk would rally round to get him out into foster and then look for a home. I think if you take him you could find a home for him - either through the link above or many of the breed rescues. I'd say do it! If he were 12 or 13 then you may struggle to rehome ... GOOD LUCK!

He's a 4yo border collie. Don't understand why people get dogs then treat them as a disposable item sad

DontPutMeDownForCardio Sun 15-Jun-14 13:30:36

Why don't you check out rescues and find someone to take it rather than just give her the details.

At the end of the day is her dog and she can do what she wants with it.

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 15-Jun-14 13:19:04

Poor thing. If I were you I would take him tempoarily.

KaFayOLay Sun 15-Jun-14 13:15:11

I would take him and rehome if I was you, if your landlord is agreeable to having 2 dogs short term that is.

What breed and age is he?
Just wondering if he stands a good chance of being rehomed.

A friend of a friend is adopting a child and have, apparently, been told they must get rid of their dog. My friend asked if I could take him - checked with my landlord and he's said no more dogs (I have one already), although he's fine with me looking after a friends dog occasionally. Friend now tells me her friend has booked the dog in to be pts next week, because the one rescue they contacted won't help sad

I've suggested loads of breed specific rescues, but they haven't got time apparently to check them out. I feel like I need to do something to stop this gorgeous dog being destroyed. I'm tempted to say I'll take him and then get him rehomed myself through a centre. It makes me so cross that they're putting a healthy dog to sleep sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now