Need help with my dog barking, threats from housing over it.

(13 Posts)
LithaR Sat 14-Jun-14 11:16:12

I have a one year old staffy female, really don't want her rehomed but getting threats from housing.

I love my dog so much, I know that her being taken off me for aa shelter would likely be a death sentence for her. Had her since she was a puppy. Neighbours keep complaining even though I've done all I can to stop her barking.

She only barks now when strangers come to the door. At my wits end and feeling so under threat. Any tips on what I can do to save her and keep her with me.

Can I even appeal or challenge the complaints, since there are other dogs living on the street that bark more than my dog.

mintysmum Sat 14-Jun-14 11:26:43

I have a barky dog so feel for you. It can be a real pain.

If she only barks when someone comes to the door can you try a specific programme of training to desensitize her to the door? Other people are much better at this training thing than me! But I'd try getting a friend to come round and knock on the door and ignore her barking but try and get her to sit for you and treat her and keep treating her all the time she's sitting quietly.

We used a lead from day one with the door so as soon as it goes the lead goes on and someone holds our dog in the kitchen so he never gets to race to the door and greet people. People then come into the kitchen while he's being held down. He's quite chilled with the door and almost seeks out his minder & lead when the bell goes!

Maybe an intense day or two of training with a friend to help will improve things.

brittanyfairies Sat 14-Jun-14 11:36:21

Mine is a barker too and it drives me crazy when someone knocks at the door and he barks. I've trained him to go into another room and I shut the door so he can't come out. He now barks once when someone knocks but goes straight to the dining room and he's calm when in there. He goes automatically now, and there is no more mad crazy barking going on.

casparthecat Sat 14-Jun-14 11:36:59

My Sister-in-Law had a problem with her dog barking when they were out at work. They bought her a collar which gave her a small electric shock (or something like that!) when she barked. It worked a treat.

She's in another country but I should imagine there should be something similar here.

Why don't you ring the Blue Cross? They have dog behaviour experts at their rescues. I am sure they would be able to advise and wouldn't mind if you needed help.

SpicyPear Sat 14-Jun-14 13:11:14

I don't have time to respond fully now but do not put a shock collar on her. It is likely to make things a lot worse and there are humane methods you can use. I'll be back as soon as I can and in the meantime hopefully some other folks can share some advice.

Please do NOT put a shock collar on your dog, it's a vile thing to do and chances are you would make things much worse. Have a look on youtube, kikopup is a fantastic trainer and she is bound to have a video to help you train your dog out of barking at the door.

Kikopup video here and Victoria Stillwell video

Toooldtobearsed Sun 15-Jun-14 06:24:00

Not got a barker, but had an over enthusiastic greeter every time someone came to the door, very off putting for some visitors. Is she food orientated? I solved our problem by training him with treats. When the door bell rings he now, he knows that if he sits politely until people either come in or go away, he gets a treat. It took me a few weeks, and meant keeping people waiting for the door to open, but we got there in the end.
Good luck!

Aked Sun 15-Jun-14 07:56:17

caspar if you actually sat down and thought about that advice, would you still give it? Cannot believe anyone thinks it is ok to use a shock collar. "Worked a treat", seriously. Please don't go there OP. It's cruelty.

I second kikopup. She is very good.

ender Sun 15-Jun-14 08:59:44

It doesn't sound like a lot of barking if it only happens when strangers come to the door, unless it goes on for a long time of course, or you get lots of strangers turning up in the middle of the night. Other posters have given you good links for training.
My GSD rescue was very barky when I got him but he eventually learnt the "quiet" command and now just gives a couple of restrained woofs when the doorbell rings.
I wouldn't want him to think he's not allowed to bark at all though, if someone tried to break in would like him to let me know smile

LithaR Sun 15-Jun-14 10:33:41

Thanks for all the advice! Have no fear I wouldn't use a shock collar on my baby. She's very food oriented lol, she seems to have hollow legs with all she eats.

I am on the waiting list for a dog training class, but with how things are going we have time limits.

She has done so well since the first complaint, so I'm so sad that I'm getting complaints still despite my girl not being the only dog barking on the street.

I just think people are so used to the other dogs that my new one in the mix stands out.

I really miss my old house since she was welcomed. sad

Pleased to hear you will not be using a shock collar. God knows how you can still buy them. Sickening.

Do have a look at the kikopup videos, she really explains the reasons for the dogs behaviour, and, the reasons behind the training. A staff isa smartdog, I bet you will see results if you give it a go.

* is a

Fat fingers and tablet blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now