My beast of a puppy is literally sweating his bits off!!

(5 Posts)
Popper208 Fri 13-Jun-14 21:17:43

I have a gorgeous male 8 month old Italian Spinone who, in dog terms is fully in adolescence! We have made the decision (together with the breeders advice) not to castrate him until at least 18 months and we are quite happy with that. However, despite the breeder assuring us he wasn't a "humpy" dog, he is going nuts (pardon the punwink), we cannot let him off the lead as he actively seeks out other dogs, not necessarily to hump but what starts off as a play, perhaps would end up in mounting? He won't come back if he spots anyone or anything and he can cover quite a bit of ground very quickly!!
In this recent weather he is panting all the time and I think it's a case of frustration mixed with the heat, I know he will eventually calm down but he just seems to be wired and we cannot risk letting him run this off, does anyone have any tips for getting through these frustrating few months, especially in this heat, knowing the only exercise he gets is walking on the lead and freedom in the not so large garden??

Aked Sat 14-Jun-14 07:34:43

Perhaps there is a bitch locally who is in season? This could be driving him crazy at the moment and may settle down in a few weekssmile Could you longline him for a while to give him a sense of freedom while out walking? Brain games/training also wears them out mentally and physically.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 14-Jun-14 07:50:31

He is also 8 months old and will be entering the teenage phase so so all recall etc will disappear as he runs round going 'la I can't hear you'. So it could have nothing to do with us testicles at all.

SpicyPear Sat 14-Jun-14 08:06:25

Yes I would look at a webbing long line. Depending how bad his recall is at the moment (which as lonecat says could be a teenage thing rather than a balls thing) you can hold the end or let it trail and stamp.on it when he's running off.

Popper208 Mon 16-Jun-14 21:37:26

Thanks, I will try him on an extendable lead I think as his recall is only good when there are absolutely no other dogs around, the minute he sees something, he's gone!
He does seem very frustrated rather than just hot so I do wonder if there is a bitch in heat that he can smell, it would absolutely explain his utter mad state of mind at the moment!! It's almost like he just doesn't know what to do with himself and if he could climb the walls, he would grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now