Male dog wont cock his leg and people think he is pooing.

(10 Posts)
pieinthesky123 Fri 13-Jun-14 20:06:15

We have a ten month old puppy who is a squatter not a leg cocker. Tonight we had a man shout us back from down the street as he had seen my dog squat apparently (in his words)shitting everywhere and we never picked it up. It was quite embarrassing as he was quite loud and confrontational and my dh calmly went back and explained that the dog was a male puppy and had squatted to wee, the man wasn't convinced, so my dh invited the man to find the poo which we would pick up. The man was a bit embarrassed and apologised after finding no poo but a damp patch from the wee. He said he was inundated daily by people allowing their dogs to poo and walk off outside his home which I understand happens and is unacceptable. We always pick up and carry plenty of dog poo bags which we showed the man in our defence.

I don't want to feel a bit self conscious each time my puppy squats to wee and feel as if I should act out a fake poo pickup to appease anyone who might be looking. I understand peoples frustration about dog mess in the streets and how irresponsible dog owners give the good ones a bad reputation. I just want to walk my puppy responsibly and without confrontation. Hopefully he might become a leg cocker in time and this will solve the problem.

Has anyone been challenged by someone whose dog was squatting to wee, or if not what do you do that I am not doing right.

pieinthesky123 Fri 13-Jun-14 20:11:35

Thought it best to add that we try to get the puppy to wee on grass verges and absolutely never on peoples property etc. We usually walk him in fields its on the way to the field this happened.

MitchellMummy Fri 13-Jun-14 20:25:04

I always wonder what people think when my bitch is squatting to wee. But my conscience is clear as I always pick up. Think you were just unlucky there!

Trills Fri 13-Jun-14 20:30:50

So you have the same problem that you would have if you had a female dog?

Most people are not going to take the time to look to see if your dog has a penis.

You've just had an encounter with a shouty madman. Don't take it personally or think that you or your dog are doing anything wrong.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 13-Jun-14 20:33:22

My dog squatted to wee for ages. He did learn to cock his leg eventually.

moosemama Fri 13-Jun-14 21:05:13

I have two males, one is 1 year old, the other 8 and a half and they both squat to wee - although the older one does cock his leg occasionally.

I've never been confronted by anyone about it and would tell them where to get off if someone did, as I have completely clear conscience and always pick up after my dogs.

I think you were just unlucky and caught the sharp end of someone's frustration at irresponsible dog owners. Don't give it another thought.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 14-Jun-14 08:18:11

I'm pretty sure people think I leave my dogs poo too. He is a picky toiletter, he'll sniff about for ages, then do a poo squat for a few seconds, then decide that actually, he doesn't quite like that spot and he'll choose somewhere else. No-one has ever challenged me in the two years since we got him. Mind you, he is a massive black greyhound and looks quite intimidating with his Hannibal Lector mask on grin

I wouldn't give it another thought. If anyone does confront you just explain that it was just a wee! They can't exactly go around confronting owners of bitches who squat to wee!

SpicyPear Sat 14-Jun-14 08:46:21

There is a significant minority that strongly dislike dogs and dog owners and will assume the worst given half a chance. This is unlikely to be the last time your dog puts you in a socially awkward situation so you need to get a nice thick skin about this type of stuff.

You DH was more than accommodating. I would have shouted back "it's a wee" and tried not to add a "you idiot" on the end.

Pinkje Sat 14-Jun-14 09:10:29

We have a bitch so if it's just a wee and we're in a busy place I usually say in quite a loud voice, 'oh, just a wee then Brooke' and walk on.

pieinthesky123 Sat 14-Jun-14 17:23:14

Thanks for replying. I was so shocked by his shouty outburst I began to wonder whether I was doing something wrong, and what does everyone else do with their dogs. I will have to develop a tougher skin. Hopefully its a one off and he was having a bad day. Although I did say "not another wee piedog" when he did a squat wee and wiped his feet on the grass opposite a bus stop today, just incase anyone wondered.

Did notice today though that shouty man has a homemade cardboard sign tied to his tree saying "pick up your dog mess and don't leave it here you know who you are" no idea how long it has been there or who its aimed at but hope it doesn't antagonise anyone to react. Either way my conscience is clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now