new owner silly question alert! does anyone else's puppy's have loopy moments during the day?

(16 Posts)
catstolemypants Thu 12-Jun-14 19:01:20

may sound stupid but as a new puppy owner i knew i would come across things i didint expect, Angus our 13 week terrier seems to have loopy slots in the day normally always in the morning 7-8 o'clock and evening 7ish is this normal? we have only had him since sunday and he's doing really well he doesn't nip, will 'sit' 'come' and 'down' but during these moments he is quite nippy he gets told no firmly and if need be is confined to the kitchen with his crate and some toys in here he is fine he just chills out. Is this all normal behavior? i dont think i over exercise him he gets played with in the garden and we have begun lead training 10 minutes here and there in different places during the day along with his sociolisation and the children are very calm with him. Any advise would be great thanks smile

Catsmamma Thu 12-Jun-14 19:05:23

completely normal

like toddlers do your best to ignore all bad! But I don't think a "NO!" hurts a puppy

Try and fit the crazies into the routine, so breakfast..some crazy...some training, some rest. As they get bigger you can channel the crazy into exercise and nonsense.

catstolemypants Thu 12-Jun-14 19:25:42

oh thank god!!! iv woken up the last two mornings with anxiety pangs thinking that this is the beginning of the end and that im doing a bad job and im going to end up with a badly behaved dog! a bit ott i know but i just couldn't help it dh thinks im mad lol but it really reminds me of the way i doubted myself when i first had dc's iv had visions of having a vicious out of control dog for the next 15 yrs. I do feel bad shutting him off in the kitchen and feel as though by doing this he wont integrate as well into the family am i also being a bit silly here? If i feel he needs rest i will put him in the kitchen or if im doing the school run and he isnt coming or if i need to be doing things and cant watch him as much i feel i need to this is all ok yes? if i put him in there and i feel he isnt tired and i think he needs occupying whilst im out i give him a well stuffed kong when i get back 9 times out of 10 he's chilled in his crate

Yes we call them zoomies, Eric runs round the house like the clappers,dodging furniture and walls with just a hair's breadth, dances with any available shoe and is generally loopy. Then he crashes for a sleep for a good hour. He's always had them and is coming up to six months now.

SpicyPear Thu 12-Jun-14 20:31:44

Yes pupp zoomies and very normal.

Saying no probably won't hurt him but it is also unlikely to do any good if you're not showing him how you do want him to behave. Some dogs will even find the attention reinforcing. Much better to divert the nipping onto a toy and ending all interactions when he nips.

If he is too hyped then it is fine to separate him to calm down as long as he has his toys. You are also doing the right thing leaving him for short period when you can't supervise. It is really important for pups to get used to spending time alone right from the start. A Kong is great so he has something to do and sees it as a positive experience. You can gradually increase it as he gets older.

melliebobs Thu 12-Jun-14 20:33:27

Normal. I have a four yr old terrier. He sleeps for most of the day which is broken up by the odd hour of pure madness. Some of it will be the breed to. But that's what makes them lovely grin

catstolemypants Thu 12-Jun-14 20:56:10

i totally get the breed thing we knew what we were in for but i think its just new mummy worries smile spicypear i willl put that into place its so hard to know what to do when you get such confllicting advice i have already told dc's to ignore, turn away, go away from puppy when he gets too much for them but i have been telling him no and so have they does this really do no good?

SpicyPear Thu 12-Jun-14 22:06:14

A lot of people will tell you to do it but it's meaningless to a puppy. They don't speak English! Some dogs depending on temperament may understand annoyance in your voice, but if you rely on one word as a generic command for stopping all types of behaviour you're not setting up your dog to succeed like you are if you focus on teaching them a) what it is appropriate for them to bite and chew on and b) that nipping doesn't work as a strategy to get attention and fun play from humans.

SpicyPear Thu 12-Jun-14 22:11:53

Oh and anecdotally, I am looking right now at a nearly 2 year old terrier who very quickly learnt not to nip or mouth anyone... apart from my mother.

Now guess who refused to listen to me about up to date training methods, believed that ignoring was "letting him get away with it" and kept saying a firm no at him?

TweeAintMee Thu 12-Jun-14 22:13:46

Yup. The 5 minute crazy zooming is entirely within our experience.

BabeRuthless Fri 13-Jun-14 07:02:29

We get that nearly every day with our four month old. I like the name Zoomies for it! She loves playing with DP so he channels it into play and they have these crazy ten minute sessions together.

RudyMentary Fri 13-Jun-14 07:12:27

My dog is nearly 11 and still has these, without the nippy bits. She suddenly spreads her front legs, bottom up and barks. Then sets off around the house at great speed colliding with anything in her path, including doorways. It generally ends with her running round and round the dining table. She will periodically stop and then repeat.

catstolemypants Fri 13-Jun-14 09:41:07

spicypear have now put this firmly in place i think now looking at it that 'NO' was affirming his behavior rather that deterring it he seems to be very bright as we've now mastered sit, down, come and role over though im bright enough to know he is a terrier and that if he decides to this will be blatantly ignored lol

moosemama Fri 13-Jun-14 09:45:20

Totally normal and highly entertaining if you can manage the nippiness. Mine still does it at 1 year old, although without any nipping - and he's enormous. We've learned to herd him out to the garden now to minimise the chaos! grin

SistersOfPercy Fri 13-Jun-14 11:52:48

8 month old Scottie owner, Murphy has the mad most evenings. This involves tearing through the living and dining rooms, into the kitchen and back into the living room launching himself on to the sofas.
It's exceptionally funny and if you happen to be stood in his way he'll go straight through your legs as if you weren't there.

My old Scott did it as well until not long before he died, my old Westie would do it occasionally but he was exceptionally lazy so his mads were few and far between grin

SpicyPear Fri 13-Jun-14 13:22:09

Great smile

That's why I prefer not to do it - some dogs find any attention quite exciting. Terriers in particular can see you "no, no, no, no" as a rather fabulous game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now