The dog fighting documentary on Channel 4.

(24 Posts)

I contacted Channel 4 to complain about this program last night. I said that I can't see any good reasons to screen a program about this, or to give any publicity to the vile individuals who take part in this so-called sport, or who watch it and bet on it - but Channel 4 have contacted me today to say that they feel this program is in the public interest and will raise awareness of the incidents of dog fighting in the UK.

I am sickened by the mere thought of this 'investigative journalism', and certainly will not be watching it. I have signed an online petition calling on them to cancel the screening - but is there anything more that could be done? And are there any valid reasons to show this awful programme?

Virgolia Wed 11-Jun-14 16:25:57

It's heart breaking and I don't think it's acceptable to put these horrors on TV. Did channel four actually do anything about it? I doubt it.

I couldn't do that job. I'd kick their heads in.

susiedaisy Wed 11-Jun-14 16:29:49

Saw the advert for it earlier today it made me feel sick don't think I can watch it to be honest. I really hope something positive comes out of it and it's not just shocking for the sake of it. hmm

ThursdayLast Wed 11-Jun-14 16:35:35

I too saw the advert, looked across the room to my sleeping staffy and made the decision not to watch it.

I'm not sure how it is in the public interest.

SpicyPear Wed 11-Jun-14 16:51:40

I won't be watching. I know it happens and I do not need to see it. I read this quote from the documentary maker and could quite honestly slap her for making out that the reason I loath dog fighting is because the people that do it are usually "poor".

“People express horror when they hear I’m making a film about dog-fighting, which is partly a class thing. Dog-fighting is associated with poor people and the ghetto, which in their eyes makes it worse than hare-coursing or hunting.”

However, all that aside I wouldn't campaign for it not to be shown, as I am also a strong believer in freedom of the press.

I will watch it on catch-up. Not because I'm morbid or get a kick out of these things.
But even if you don't watch it, dog fighting still goes on.

I saw a similar documentary a few years back, one thing that stuck in my head, more than the actual fighting, was the man who picked up his very badly injured dog to take it out of the arena (and kill it).
The dog was inches from his face but didn't show any aggression.

sad and angry in equal measure.

sad and angry - that just about sums it up, 70.

ThursdayLast Wed 11-Jun-14 18:57:15

It's just not something I feel able to bear witness to.
I know you're right 70

triballeader Wed 11-Jun-14 23:11:11

On this one I would like to spend a few minutes alone with a potato peeler and a lump of rock salt with the unspeakable specimens who do this to any dog. Dog fighting does go on and on.

My beautiful natured rescued staffy/english bull cross is one very lucky dog. She was found dumped in the street in the nick of time by the local dog warden and was urgently taken for vet care after she had been used as a bait dog. She had hunks of fur missing from where she had been taped and the sods had taken her recently born puppies form her. She was needless to say extremely distressed and needed sedation and a lot of vet nurse TLC to pull through. It then took the rescue a long time to get her back to a state she could be rehomed. It then took a long time to rehome her simply because she still carries some nasty scars from being abused by dog fighting. My family have always had staffies and bullies so I asked if I could take her on knowing I could face some real behaviour issues.

She has turned out to be an incredible dog who still treats anything I do as the best thing that has ever happened for her and despite all that must have happened to her she still loves playing with other dogs and is gentle with pre-school children who want to fuss her.

If you only ever looked at all her scars you would not know she was a gentle dog underneath.

Doggeanie Thu 12-Jun-14 01:40:37

If you are unhappy with the trailers and the programme, you can fill out a 3 min form here at OFCOM consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/tv-and-radio/
If enough of us contact OFCOM then the programme and trailers will be stopped and a full investigation made as to whether the programme is appropriate.

Virgolia Thu 12-Jun-14 02:45:28

On further thinking, maybe this will make people more aware. Maybe it'll stop people giving their dogs away on facebook

triballeader Thu 12-Jun-14 09:04:25

I wish it would Virgolia- especially for the bull terrier breeds. Every Staffy and Bully rescue of repute begs people NOT to give their dog away free in ad's and to keep a watch on their dogs when out in public. Staff's and bullies are so people focussed they will happily go with anyone who seems friendly only to be found dead later if they are found at all. The lucky ones are reported, found and cared for but then too often get stuck in rescues on the assumption that if they have been made to be involved in dog fighting it must be because they are a viscious dog.

BMW6 Thu 12-Jun-14 23:48:42

I saw a few seconds of it and couldn't bear to watch anymore. How anyone can enjoy watching animals (especially dogs) tear each other to pieces is totally beyond me.

lady1980 Fri 13-Jun-14 10:14:10

I watched this programme last night , Its heartbreaking the things these so called civilised human beings do for pleasure/fun !
I didn't think the guy doing the programme was great either , he seemed to lack sympathy or something , cant put my finger on it , but didn't like him at all ,I am a Huge animal lover , and not violent but Id love to get a hold of people who seem to think this type of behavior is acceptable angry

Owllady Fri 13-Jun-14 11:06:56

Triballeader your dog sounds lovely smile

Channel 4 are on a flog the durty poor mission aren't they?
The ghetto?? Wtf!
The people who do this are criminals, there socio economic background has NOTHING to do with people's displeasure

susiedaisy Fri 13-Jun-14 11:09:31

I tried watching but found myself fast forwarding through most of it. The men involved didn't seem to understand that even if their dogs enjoyed fighting that doesn't make it right or ethical. Most animals will fight with one another at some point but it doesn't mean we need to exploit it for moneyangrysad

chockbic Fri 13-Jun-14 14:46:02

It was absolutely disgusting and the people involved did have a level of intelligence, which made their involvement even worse.

Channel 4 were right to show what goes on. Just hope they will hand over all their footage to the police and RSPCA.

The angle of animal abuse and our attitude toward it was interesting. Horse racing is cruel too, so is pheasant shooting. Did anyone see how the pheasants were twirled around? Presumably to break their necks sad

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 14:48:17

RSPCA are trying to petition for the unedited footage to be handed to them.

blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/06/13/channel-4s-going-to-the-dogs/#.U5sBA41dVv2

I've emailed C4

chockbic Fri 13-Jun-14 14:49:49

OK thanks for that.

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 14:50:15

I just hope C4 do the right thing sad

chockbic Fri 13-Jun-14 14:54:19

Me too, they have no duty to protect these people.

Owllady Fri 13-Jun-14 16:34:11

Do oh really believe shooting game for food is cruel?
Then the next question is, are you a vegan/vegetarian? because I am sure that makes a difference

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 18:06:13

I know your question isn't aimed at me but I do think it is cruel. And let's not all pretend people go shooting for food. It's a sport, they find it fun. They show off their kills. The meat is just an after product. Very few people actually go hunting with the sole purpose to put food on the table. Very few seem to have respect for the fact they've taken a life. If someone needs to hunt to feed themselves and their family, that's okay by me as long as they do it quickly, humanely and don't seem to revel in it.

But yes, I don't eat meat.

But anyway that's a completely different issue and don't want to derail from the very real and horrific point of the topic. smile

chockbic Sat 14-Jun-14 13:14:47

Agree with above, there is no need to be cruel.

I don't eat meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now