Boxer with cushing's disease

(7 Posts)
Peacocklady Fri 06-Jun-14 20:28:12

My boxer is 11 in August and after months of her drinking endlessly and weeing everywhere and losing her hair I took her back to the vet yet again. She has previously been on propalin and incurin for 'leaking' but over the past year she's got more thirsty and more incontinent. She runs off on walks to find puddles and rivers to drink. The vet had previously said it was most likely a psychological nervous habit.
Anyway she had a positive test for cushing's. Apparently treatment is expensive and needs checking regularly. She's a happy dog and energetic but it's been hard with the wee.
We've been prescribed meds we'll get tomorrow. What does it all mean? What is the cheapest way of doing it?
Not insured and her previous insurance had an exemption for urinary problems.
Any advice appreciated!

toboldlygo Fri 06-Jun-14 20:53:22

The medication is probably Vetoryl which is not cheap - it will be worth comparing the price from your vet with the price of a written prescription and buying it online instead if you are not insured.

Peacocklady Fri 06-Jun-14 21:09:24

Thanks will do. we did that with propalin but they'd charge full whack for the prescription and put no repeats on it. Thinking of trying another surgery!

daisy5569 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:07:11

My old Basenji has had cushings for years, meds will be vetoryl (think that's the only licensed drug in Uk). It is expensive I buy online & it's over 50% cheaper than vet. My current vet gives prescription for 6 months supply although other vets at practise only give 3 months but even with £10 prescription cost it's cheaper My boy needs 10mg twice a day was originally on 60mg then 30 mg once a day.
Once her medication levels are sorted out you know where you are re costs etc, took a while to get my boys sorted and all the ACTH tests were costly, but now he has his test every 6 months rather than quarterly (not insured for cushings). The drinking and wee settles down almost immediately although I do keep an eye on how much mine drinks by jotting down how much water goes in the bowl. I am careful with him and probably take him it vets for things I may not with another dog as cushings lowers immunity so I worry about infections etc.
My boy is well managed now and is now over 15 years old and still going strong and I'm sure he was diagnosed at about 7 or 8.
Good luck, and hope things settle down soon

Peacocklady Sat 07-Jun-14 11:55:48

Thanks so much for the info daisy. Glad you hear your dog is well.
Just spoken to receptionist at vet. Her first prescription is for 2x60mg per day!!
Their cost is £116.18 for 42 tablets which will last 3 weeks. Looking online for cheaper but I know she'll have to go back for tests to check the meds are right.
Could you recommend an online pharmacy? How long did it take for them to get the correct dosage?

daisy5569 Sat 07-Jun-14 12:21:45

Hi Peacocklady I cant remember exactly how long it took to get to the dose my boy has at the moment, but think he may have been on 60mg for not too long then the test indicated that was too high and it was dropped to 30mg. He stayed on this dose for ages then after one of the ACTH tests they decided to switch to 2 doses of 10 mg taken 12 hours apart as the levels were not staying consistent (I think!) Think they always start them off on a relatively high dose at the start. I have got used to paying for the meds now, what crippled me at the beginning was having to have lots of ACTH tests to check the levels.

I use a company called Viovet, have just looked and they charge £1.57 per 60mg tablet so 42 work out at £65.94 so much cheaper than the vets!
I have found other companies slightly cheaper online but I have found Viovet really efficient, they hold your prescription online and you order one day and its received the next day.
Hope this helps

Peacocklady Sat 07-Jun-14 12:44:30

Thanks daisy. I got a breakdown of charges and they charge £16.78 for the prescription alone but recommended animed for an online dispensary which makes it a lot cheaper (£53.34). The ATCH test which she had last week was £132 and she'll need another after 2 weeks of meds so I know what you mean about crippling!
I think I'm going to move her to a cheaper vet, just phoned one that said it's £12.50 for a prescription and £90 for ATCH. I just hope her levels settle soon!!
Anyway won't bore you with my finances. Thanks for your help. I can't wait for it to start working bless her so I can cuddle her on the sofa without being weed on!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now