Finally stopped crying enough to write this- dog died this morning

(19 Posts)
JessMcL Fri 06-Jun-14 16:42:53

I am completely devastated. The kids don't know yet- I've asked our au pair to take them out after school so I can get my head round it a bit more.

He managed to break out of the garden and he was hit by a car. The bastard didn't even stop- fortunately someone saw and came to let me know. I feel like complete shit because the last time I saw him I was shouting at him for pooping in the house.

I'll be OK- then I'll walk into another room expecting him to jump all over me or I'll open a drawer and find a toy or packet of treats.

Managed to get most of his stuff into the garage so it's not in the house but no doubt I'll end up finding something and break down again.

I'm especially heartbroken for DS because he's been badly bullied and he doesn't have many friends and managed to form a real bond with the dog.

Off I go again...

furrlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 06-Jun-14 16:46:05

oh no poor you sending a hug x

kd73 Fri 06-Jun-14 16:46:32

Big hugs, a dog is a member of the family so cry and tell us about him...

puffylovett Fri 06-Jun-14 16:46:52

((((())))) sad

No words, really. As I would be broken without mine. Hope you're ok xx

Canshopwillshop Fri 06-Jun-14 16:47:42

Oh no, that's awful sad. I am so sorry. X

autumnboys Fri 06-Jun-14 16:49:23

I am so, so sorry. Huge hugs to you and all your family.

hairypaws Fri 06-Jun-14 16:50:48

So sorry. That's just so sad. Will be thinking of you breaking the news, horrible for you.

I'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking. I still tear up about losing my beloved dog and that was about 3 years ago now.

Thinking of you and your family and your beloved dog.

JessMcL Fri 06-Jun-14 17:26:00

Thanks ladies. He was gorgeous...only 14 months, so still a baby. Just relieved someone kind and loving was with him for his last moments.

He was a little menace- always into everything which makes it so difficult now he's gone because you were never alone.

Just had a huge cuddle with my DH and a good cry. Going back to the vets to get his collar and we are going to put it round his teddy and leave it on the shelf in the kitchen so we can't forget about him.

Just got to get through telling the kids and the next few days and we will be OK.

Thanks again.

MuttonCadet Fri 06-Jun-14 17:28:05

You must be devastated, I'm so sorry for your loss. sad

EyelinerQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 17:28:47

I'm so sorry for your loss Jess.

Your post has sent a chill right through me as only yesterday my 10 month old pup escaped from our garden (DP forgot to lock the gate after leaving for work on his bike).

She crossed a main road and was lucky enough to get taken in by a lady who then returned her to me.

I'm so sorry you didn't get a similar happy ending. Huge hugs.

Lilybensmum1 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:19:10

So sorry, that's awful, I hope you are all alright. Thinking of you.

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 18:21:17

I am so, so sorry. I've been through something very similar a long time ago and it's just horrific. Like you, I was so grateful there was a lovely person there with my girl at the end.

You won't ever forget him, collar or no collar and I promise you will be able to think of him and smile again one day. flowers

Wishing you strength for telling the dcs and much love and light as a family to see you through the next few days. x

JessMcL Fri 06-Jun-14 20:57:12

Thanks again ladies.

Well telling my DCs was as shit as i'd thought it be. DS just broke down in tears and has gone to his friends because he can't face being here. The girls are upset but didn't have much to do with him so have been easily consoled by watching Frozen for millionath time with pizza and ice cream.

We are already feeling very lonely without him- I went to fill his bowl a while a go and then realised. No doubt my cat will be overfed on dog food because I just can't handle seeing it. Stupid I know but i've cried so much my eye sockets feel like they are going to burn off.

I guess the saying "You don't know what you've got until it's gone" is true.

Hell- i've cried more than a did when my Grandmother died. This probably makes me a terrible person but I was truly dedicated to that little dog as was my DS.

GobblersKnob Fri 06-Jun-14 21:07:36

So sorry, what a terrible thing to happen, hugs to you.

ggirl Fri 06-Jun-14 22:42:31

so sorry how utterly heartbreaking.

So sorry sad

Owllady Sat 07-Jun-14 14:23:15

I'm sorry sad
It's absolutely devastating to lose a dog that way. My dog was hit by a car in October, except I was with her and the car mounted the grass and hit her. They also drove off. I had to have her pts later that day. I was shaken up by it fir weeks/months.

I don't know if you have considered this but it's actually a criminal offence to drive off after running down a dog. Did anyone get the registration plate? I called the police myself and they were helpful and logged it all but as I didn't have the reg no. They couldn't go round and givecwhoever it was a talking to

DramaAlpaca Sat 07-Jun-14 20:15:18

So sorry for your loss Jess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now