Dog ate a used camomile teabag, should I be worried?

(9 Posts)
Pinkje Thu 05-Jun-14 10:19:54

It must have fallen out of next door's rubbish. Thought it was a leaf at first but could smell it was camomile. Pup dropped a tiny bit which confirms it was a used teabag but she managed to swallow the rest before I could get it off her.

Had a quick google but couldn't get conclusive advice, what do all you experienced dog owners think? She is a 6 month old cocker spaniel.

Should I just phone the vet?

SpicyPear Thu 05-Jun-14 11:05:06

I'm not aware of chamomile being a poison for dogs but it's no loss to phone the vet and check.

I would phone the vet to ease you mind but wouldn't worry too much.

My Spaniels (one is a 6 month working cocker) ate half a pound of butter last week (long story) and I was braced for the repercussions, but there were none. At all. Must be all the other crap (literally) that they eat.

DramaAlpaca Thu 05-Jun-14 11:12:42

As far as I know camomile is not poisonous to dogs. I'm sure she'll be fine, but no harm to phone the vet if you are worried.

Dogs have tough stomachs and seem to be programmed to be able to eat most things without any problems.

needastrongone I've also had a spaniel (a springer) that polished off a pack of butter that she'd stolen from the kitchen worktop. No repercussions here, either.

Needadvice5 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:16:26

my Dalmatian ate a hot pink Birkenstock sandal and blackberry phone during the night, she's learned how to open drawers and doors over the last 2 days so I niw need cupboard locks ffs.

Then this morning she stole a blueberry muffin complete with wrapper, am gonna string her up!

Pinkje Thu 05-Jun-14 11:44:46

Thanks all. Just phoned the vet, they said to keep an eye on her and only worry if she had problems going for a poo or started vomiting.

She will chew and try to eat anything though - and it's tricky when they're off lead. Anyway, she looks fine, although part of me wondered if the camomile might have a calming effect! (Answer, no).

DramaAlpaca Thu 05-Jun-14 12:11:33

grin at calming effect!

If you'd reported that it did indeed have a calming effect, I'd have been stocking up on camomile tea to feed it to my daft young springer.

My dog ate a tea bag last week. What really entertained me is he did it after stealing a piece of cake. He's class, my dog.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 07-Jun-14 23:31:11

God, what must a used camomile tea bag taser like? confused Bleurgh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now