13 yr old dog PTS today - the vet said he'd "be monitored".

(18 Posts)
OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 03-Jun-14 23:14:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fav Tue 03-Jun-14 23:18:07

I would think it's likely they were trying to reassure your DP.
So sorry about your dog x

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 03-Jun-14 23:20:29

I'm not a vet and hopefully one of the regular vets here will put your mind at rest soon. My guess is that she knew your DP was feeling understandably anxious and it was her way of trying to make him feel reassured (although it has backfired).

So sorry for your loss.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Tue 03-Jun-14 23:26:09

Hi there, vet here. First of all, sorry for you loss. It sounds like you made the right decision for him today.

It sounds most likely that the vet was just trying to be reassuring and maybe used an unfortunate phrase. There really is no possibility that an animal can regain consciousness after a euthanasia - as they said we usually use a much larger dose than is actually needed. If his heart had stopped beating, then he was dead at that point. He will not have experienced anything beyond the first few seconds of the injection, usually animals lose consciousness so quickly they don't even have a chance to close their eyes.

The drug we use is an old-fasioned anaesthetic drug - we don't use it for anaesthesia any more as it has a very narrow safety margin, but it is very efficient at what it does.

elastamum Tue 03-Jun-14 23:26:27

I have had to put numerous pets and horses to sleep and I can assure you that they are gone within seconds.

Your dog would have had a sedative and then a second drug which stops the heart. It is very quick and painless. The vet checks there are no vital signs. There is no possibility of an animal waking up.

Sorry about your dog, but rest assured you did the right thing and he will not have suffered.

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 03-Jun-14 23:28:28

ggirl Tue 03-Jun-14 23:30:00

So sorry for your loss, it's so hard I know. I am sure you dog was gone and they know what they're doing

I still think about my dog being PTS as the vet couldn't find a vein as she was very hairy. Eventually he said it would prob be easier if we left him to it....I really wish I had stayed with her now and feel really guilty about it still 5 yrs later. I'm sure he was caring etc but just wish I had been holding her.

Sorry to spill all that out but your post has brought it all back ..

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 03-Jun-14 23:33:34

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 03-Jun-14 23:37:44

punter Wed 04-Jun-14 07:53:38

Sorry for your loss but you made the right decision and I am sure he did not suffer.

notaflamingclue Wed 04-Jun-14 08:40:22

Sorry for your loss. You did the last loving thing anyone can do for their dog. I dread the day but hope and pray I'll have the strength to do it too.

OldBagWantsNewBag Wed 04-Jun-14 13:47:53

Owllady Wed 04-Jun-14 15:43:03

I'm sorry about your boy sad
I hope you are reassured by these posts x

OldBagWantsNewBag Wed 04-Jun-14 16:22:27

PotOfYoghurt Wed 04-Jun-14 16:28:55

I'm so sorry. Our family dog was PTS in December, he was a 15 year old Dalmatian. We had had him since a was a puppy, and there's nothing really that prepares you for it is there? And people who haven't had pets don't understand the way we feel.

I was on the other side of the world when I got the call that he had been put down, and I had my first ever panic attack which seems ridiculous, but there you go.

What a lucky dog to have had you for his family.

Owllady Wed 04-Jun-14 20:31:59

Oldbag, was English the vets second language? (I am only asking because my vet is French and it may explain a strange use of a word iykwim
They definitely die though when pts. I have lost two dogs in the last two years and its obvious they have gone.
I know this regards a person, but I know when my sister died and I saw her in the chapel of rest I was absolutely convinced she was breathing. I think it's a reAction to a highly emotionally charged situation. Or I might just be weird blush
Lots of love, it's horrible losing your dog xxx

OldBagWantsNewBag Wed 04-Jun-14 22:14:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now