puppy coming inside to wee

(7 Posts)
purplemurple1 Sun 01-Jun-14 20:58:18

Got a new puppy last week and he seemed to be getting the idea of weeing outside not inside. But today we had him on a lead which allows him to go in and out of the open front door.
He kept going inside to wee - any idea why?
Other than regularly taking him out, saying no if he tries or does wee inside what else should work?

We got our 4 yr old as a pup but he just seemed to learn in a few days (bar occasional night misshaps).

(Also I'm abroad so we don't need to keep pups inside.)

Aked Sun 01-Jun-14 21:07:10

Because he doesn't know any different? He needs loads of praise when he goes outside, and for any accidents inside to be ignored, and cleaned up without reprimand. There are loads of threads in here with house training methods pasted in, have a searchsmile
Are you sure you aren't looking back on your old pup with rose tinted specs?! Most puppies take far longer than a few days to be fully housetrained. I think mine was nearly 6 months before the accidents stopped completely.

purplemurple1 Sun 01-Jun-14 21:15:12

Not fully in a few days but with open access to outside he went outside. Maybe his breeder did some of the work for us.

Just carryon as we are then praise outside etc

SpicyPear Sun 01-Jun-14 22:18:18

As well as praise you will really speed up learning if you add in a high value treat each time they go outside. Ignore if they go inside, you don't want to teach them to be worried about going in front of you. It's also helpful to teach a command by saying it each time they go. You were very lucky if your last pup trained itself without any positive reinforcement for going outside.

I think having free access to outside will confuse him tbh. Initially I would take him out every half an hour or so and reward all pees. For me it's better if the dog learns to ask to go out initially rather than being able to get out unhindered because you need to plan for the occasions when the door is shut. It's only now that Eric is house trained (has been from about twelve weeks) do I leave the back door open if the weather is good, mind you he still comes and tells me he has pee'd.

purplemurple1 Thu 05-Jun-14 21:07:06

Thanks we've been so worried about over feeding as the breed is prone to joint problems if they gain weight to fast. But have decided to at least keep some of his meals to one side for treats.

I think part of the issue is he doesn't like doing anythingwhen on the lead but he ddoes seem to be getting over that.

SpicyPear Fri 06-Jun-14 12:22:11

Great - there is no need for any puppy to have any of their food come to them in a bowl if you are concerned about weight. I do a mixture of bowl, Kong and training with food with mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now