Has anyone got a dog that makes a huge mess whilst drinking?

(20 Posts)
marne2 Wed 28-May-14 17:34:03

My dog makes such a mess when he has a drink, he gulps it down fast then dribbles it all across the floor (we have laminate floor and the kids keep slipping up on the puddles he makes whilst drinking).

Does anyone elses dog do this, is there any way I can make him drink slower and make less mess? he has a 'slow down' bowl for his food but it doesn't really work for drink.

Lilcamper Wed 28-May-14 17:46:55

Yes, me, I got him one of these Road Refresher

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-May-14 17:55:25

yes. Mine has his bowls in a raised thing, so I just have a towel under that which works fine

littlewhitebag Wed 28-May-14 18:15:30

I have my dogs bowls on one of these It is great for keeping mess to a minimum and it looks nice. I have another one in my utility room for the muddy shoes/boots.

WalterWhiteMakesBlue Wed 28-May-14 18:24:52

Yes, I have relocated the water bowl several times to avoid it being on a thoroughfare but still WalterDog manages to trail water where everyone walks. He also had a long dribbly drink ALWAYS right after I have mopped the floor and put the mop away!

I might try the Road Refresher, but I'm not sure it will really help as it isn't so much slopping, but more the dribble which presumably is from his fur.

GemmaTeller Wed 28-May-14 18:27:23

Yes, we have a towel under the water bowl

marne2 Wed 28-May-14 18:44:20

He always does it after I have mopped the floor grin, he dribbles across the full length of the room and often across the rug and sofa. I do put his bowl outside after we have been on a walk (as he gulps it even faster after a walk), a raised bowl might help as he is quite a tall dog.

mrslaughan Wed 28-May-14 21:03:15

yep!

quineandloons Wed 28-May-14 21:05:22

Yes mine has a beard so there's no hope. Water everywhere.

Yep - mine doesn't so much finish drinking but just seems to walk away mid gulp, trailing great gobbets of water. Usually over the nearest elderly cat

JennyOnTheBlocks Thu 29-May-14 10:22:07

Glad it's not just mine who does this - he's bearded and I'm sure he's part mop.

Unfortunately not the useful part grin

glentorres Thu 29-May-14 10:56:03

Here is a good one (I have it), costs £12.99
www.travall.co.uk/travall-road-refresher-pet-bowl-tdb0001

marne2 Thu 29-May-14 11:21:47

I don't think one of those bowls will help sad , like whereBe my dog seems to walk away full gulp and then dribbles it all across the floor grin, he's not a hairy dog either, he's a lab x lurcher. He's done it since he was a pup, for a while I thought 'maybe there is something wrong with his mouth' but we cant find anything, he's just messy. A higher up bowl may help so he doesn't have to put his head as far down to drink.

JennyOnTheBlocks Thu 29-May-14 11:38:00

Marne, I get you

Ours can drip for about 15ft - he doesn't swallow before he moves away.

I thought perhaps this was because he was rescued in a very emaciated state, and sees every opportunity to eat and drink as potentially his last, but one of those sectioned food bowls has slowed his eating down, he even crunches now, but looks like the waterfall is to stay.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 29-May-14 12:32:09

I have a road refresher the floating base means they can't take a huge gulp and can only lap. As only a small amount of water is above the flap at any one time.

marne2 Thu 29-May-14 15:36:22

Ours was from rescue, though we got him as a pup, he was in a house with lots of other dogs so had to eat fast or miss out, we have the sectioned food bowl which slowed him down a little, if its dry outside I chuck his food across the grass and it takes him a good 10 minutes to eat smile.

Mylittlepotofjoy Wed 04-Jun-14 22:19:42

Yep we have 7 dogs that all dribble !!!! My kitchen is like a swimming pool when they come in sad lol at least it does mean I defiantly clean the kitchen floor though !!!!

BellaVita Thu 05-Jun-14 06:23:09

Yep!

Sometimes I manage to dab her chin with kitchen paper but the majority of times there are huge drips everywhere.

PurpleFrog Thu 05-Jun-14 09:24:38

We have a Road Refresher as well for our lab. With a normal bowl he creates tidal waves across the kitchen floor every time he laps... or he splashes his paw in it! blush

SteveBrucesNose Thu 05-Jun-14 15:50:26

Yep.

We have tiled floors everywhere. I have 3 mop buckets and mops around the house, and cleaners in 3 times a week to sort it. Other than that i have no clue how to resolve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now