Making a place where the dog can go to get away from the toddler - ideas?

(5 Posts)
bronya Mon 12-May-14 15:44:11

She used to have our bed, but he can get on that now. He is now bigger than she is, so she can go through gaps that he can't. Wondering what other people have done. He's still quite young, so although I say 'no' when he goes and bothers her, he's struggling with the fact that sometimes she wants to play with him, and sometimes she wants to be left alone. It would be better if we had a physical place she can go, where he can't get her. She can't jump a stair gate, and I don't want to shut her out - that's not fair on her.

Any ideas? Thinking sort of large indoor kennel type place???

QuizzicalCat Mon 12-May-14 15:48:07

Dog crates are perfect for this. A safe space a dog can call their own and retreat to. My pooch likes a blanket on the top and down the back of hers, it's her bolt hole.

It's also much easier to teach children that the crate is completely off limits permanently, and that the dog isn't to be bothered when in it, rather than to allow them somewhere unless the dog is there because that's confusing.

Crates are awesome, dogs love dens.

SpicyPear Mon 12-May-14 17:16:52

Second a crate. When introduced properly they make a great den. One of my dogs goes in one when she is nervous (fireworks etc) and the other whenever he wants some quiet time.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Mon 12-May-14 18:30:45

Yes. Definitely a crate is the way to go.

PeanutPatty Mon 12-May-14 20:26:30

A crate if you have the room. We don't so I have stair gates on the kitchen so I can separate the child from the dogs. It's working well. Until the smalls learn to open stair gates. Then I'm screwed. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now