Fresh Dog Food Question

(18 Posts)

Our butcher makes dog food, I asked today what was in it and it's everything other than what he sells to humans but no rusks or preservatives. I asked if I could buy a little bit for Eric to try and he gave me a free sample which would feed Eric for a week.
Eric has wolfed it down, I didn't even warm it through (more chance of him eating warm food) because he was so enthusiastic as I cut it up for him.
So my question is how often would it be all right to feed him this if I added a bit of kibble? Obviously that's assuming he will eat it more than twice as he has a low boredom threshold for food.

thekingfisher Sat 10-May-14 14:57:54

ha!

we moved onto completely raw food - though get it from another company that mix it up so you get salmon with vegetables, bone and oils in almost like a takeaway carton - its frozen and I deforest and give cold from fridge.

There is no need to add kibble if there is minced raw bone in and as kibble in most cases is mainly filler fairly unnecessary.
indifferent doggie is now wild about his food

missmargot Sat 10-May-14 14:59:30

I don't think it's advised to mix dry and raw together. There is an ongoing debate about whether dogs need vegetables as well as meat. We feed ours Nutriment which is raw with added spinach, apples, carrots etc. Perhaps try adding some fresh veg to the butchers food?

Well I didn't put kibble in today as I thought he might like to try it, there is minced bone in so that's good to know. I will add veg because I add it to the home cooked food that he likes. If he'll stick with the butcher's stuff it will be great because it's cheap and he'll deliver if I add it to my meat order.

thekingfisher Sat 10-May-14 17:13:52

oh the other thing is to ensure there is a balanced mix of meat either within the butchers meat or if he will do you a ripe based one, chicken , beef, turkey, etc etc - have a look on the natural instinct website - weber i get my food from for some of the guidance on feeding and what you could ask your butcher for ….

Definitely don't cook it with bone in it. Raw diets are great as long as they are done properly so arm yourself with some info but I'd drop the kibble and go raw if you have a good butcher smile

Have a look at raw feeding uk on FB. They have some good info files and it is a good place to seek advice.

It seems to have suited him he's flat out asleep after his walk and there has been no scrounging so I think he is full.
The butcher's great and sends him a bone every Saturday which he absolutely loves.

I have raw fed for over a year now and have never regretted the switch.

Snugglepiggy Sat 10-May-14 21:49:16

Well with the current trend for raw feeding I am probably doing it all wrong but carrying on with our two as I have for 30 years with our previous dogs who lived to 14,15 and 15 respectively with barely a vets trip. I buy bags of cheek ,heart etc from our great butchers and cook in a big batch with carrots,peas etc.They get a good quality kibble in the main but a tablespoon or two of the meat mix and gravy on their breakfast meal and they love it.They also get 'safe 'scraps from our meals.Tonight potatoes,carrots and some chicken.

PeanutPatty Mon 12-May-14 21:03:52

Personally I'd want to know exactly what the butcher was putting in his raw offerings, only so I could ensure. Y dogs received a balanced diet.

I don't mix kibble and raw. Solely raw here.

CEvert Wed 14-May-14 13:47:25

I tried some mince from my local butcher once and the dogs had sloppy poo for a couple of days...I found out subsequently that it had a high offal content... about half. So I am sceptical about pet mince from butchers!

tabulahrasa Wed 14-May-14 13:52:21

I'll buy stuff like that to put in kongs...but I wouldn't be happy that it's the right balance of meat, bone and offal for a complete diet, especially with a puppy who's still growing.

TheHoneyBadger Wed 14-May-14 14:07:08

why would you add kibble?

kibble is full of things that dogs are not naturally meant to eat - hence dog poo being a big bloated stinking mess that comes out several times a day.

when you raw feed dogs go once or twice a day and pass a very small, solid stool.

you'll find it's cheaper to source otherwise in the long run if you decide to go raw.

an example of what my dogs eat: i buy frozen chicken carcasses (40 in box for about £10) and i also buy, when available, duck carcasses which are huge and seem much enjoyed. i buy packets of pigs liver from tescos for 80p. that's the basis of their diet. my small lab will eat on a common day say 3 chicken carcasses, or equivalent in duck, a little bit of liver and a few times a week she'll have a raw egg and once a week fish. i would say it costs me £1 a day ish to feed her and she is so healthy, shiny and perfect teeth (bones) and ecstatically happy to be fed compared to when she had kibble.

i also have a small dog - a lhasa who also eats raw and she was the trigger for going back to it actually as she has crowded teeth that were getting grim and ready to cost me a fortune if things continued - eating raw has made such a difference to the state of her teeth and both of them are way less itchy and happier.

you want a good mix of meat and bones, fish once a week, eggs a few times a week and then you're fine. i'm not overly strict about so, for example, i cooked spag bol for all of us the other day that was disgusting and so plenty of leftovers and the two of them had cold spag bol sauce and left over pasta for breakfast the next day. another example i defrosted casserole beef that had hidden behind something in the freezer for an age and i wasn't sure would be ok for humans the other day - it looked slightly funny once defrosted so i gave it to the dogs and they loved it.

mine are oddballs who like things like apple cores (take the seeds out) or the end of a carrot or the end of the cucumber type 'treats' so they have a bit of that sort of thing purely because they want it rather than nutritional needs and they do get the odds scraps and leftovers from meals.

you honestly can't do WORSE than kibble when you really look into it. so it's crazy to worry would i get it right, are they getting enough x, y or z by raw feeding when we KNOW they're getting a hellish load of crap they're not designed to digest with kibble.

go for it. you'll get pleasure from watching how happy your dog/s is/are to be given what is right for them.

TheHoneyBadger Wed 14-May-14 14:08:43

quick p.s. - the other 'evidence' that is striking for me is that my dogs used to be soooo thirsty and i'd be constantly filling their water bowl. now it's more a case of 'god that water has been down for days i better change it for fresh' iyswim.

samsam123 Sat 17-May-14 21:41:06

I go to the supermarket reduced section and buy mine whatever they have there usually a steak, cut it up and he loves it- had skin allergy so switched from tinned and some dry foods as they are full of crap

lessthanBeau Tue 20-May-14 15:01:40

I use natures menu raw nuggets all made and balanced and frozen in bags I do however add wholebake holistic mixer just to bulk it a little bit due to cost, my dog loves it and has great teeth , coat and dry non smelly poos, she doesnt fart either which was the main reason for serving raw grin

LadyTurmoil Tue 20-May-14 17:19:18

Get good info on raw feeding as fan says, make sure you also give things like tripe (very healthy) for dogs, not just chicken and other meats. Introduce things like liver (other organs) in small amounts to begin with (can result in loose poos if too much).

They'll like sardines, eggs, all kinds of things. You can also buy a herbal supplement from Dorwest Keepers Mix if you like.

Where on earth do you buy frozen chicken carcasses? Sorry am on phone, dont know who posted that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now