Eek! We've made the decision to breed

(151 Posts)
BrightlyColouredFish Fri 09-May-14 23:05:32

I'm excited and scared in equal measure.

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 09-May-14 23:12:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sooperdooper Fri 09-May-14 23:12:31

What breed of dog do you have, bitch or dog? Why have you decided to breed, will the puppies be expensive?

sooperdooper Fri 09-May-14 23:14:08

Cross posts but that's my thoughts too sad I've known many dogs 'pedigree' or not all end up in rehoming, I would never purposefully breed any dog

Mine too, sorry. Too many unwanted animals that need homes.

willowisp Fri 09-May-14 23:17:23

Well hopefully you'll see sense & change your mind.

Dogs being put down all day, everyday, without more being bred.

Martorana Fri 09-May-14 23:18:28

Why?

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 09-May-14 23:19:56

ClarksonsPerm Fri 09-May-14 23:20:15

Why would you do that?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 09-May-14 23:21:05

For what reason OP?

BusyPA Fri 09-May-14 23:23:20

There really is no need to breed except financially gain for you.

Thousands of dogs are currently homeless or in pound with only 7 days before being put to sleep unless a rescue can find a home for one of their dogs and then rescue a pound dog.

Money for you could equal misery for the puppy and then death in a pound an this happens every day.

MrsPnut Fri 09-May-14 23:25:08

Our friend shows a large type of dog and only breeds them when the conditions are absolutely right. She has people on her waiting list for years for a puppy and she vets them well before the puppies are even concieved. She has bred a few best of breed at crufts and she has been doing it for about 35 years.

BrightlyColouredFish Fri 09-May-14 23:36:11

I own the bitch and she is a working dog with an exceptionally good pedigree. I am working with her breeder to get the right sire for her to enhance her blood line and we have people lined up for all the (potential) puppies.

Apologies, I obviously posted in the wrong place.

tabulahrasa Fri 09-May-14 23:45:49

I think there's plenty of room for responsible breeders, assuming she's a proven working dog and you want a puppy from her to work, she's fully health tested and you're willing to be responsible for the rest of the puppies if they ever need you to take them back and you have a few thousand pounds in case anything goes wrong for things like an emergency section...then, congratulations grin

BrightlyColouredFish Fri 09-May-14 23:55:19

Well, there's obviously not room for responsible breeders here tabulah but thank you for your more measured reply.

The first thing I enquired about before I even considered breeding was the cost of a caesarean. My vet is perfectly happy I breed, I am applying for kc kennel registration, everything is as it should be.

Well, not sure I'll be back to this board after my intial reception!

MrsMaturin Sat 10-May-14 00:01:38

Whilst the prevalence of greedy and irresponsible breeders - including those who think some puppies would be 'nice' is to be lamented, it is a shame that responsible owners of working dogs also get a kicking. Breeding an appropriate number of litters - with good choice of the bitch and dog, training and care for the puppies, back up if things go wrong and most of all a respect for these lovely animals - is the only way working breeds will be sustained.
Good luck OP.

PassAFist Sat 10-May-14 00:05:29

Please do not do this. There are thousands and thousands of dogs waiting for homes, the world does not need more dogs!

OldBagWantsNewBag Sat 10-May-14 00:16:34

Valuecrisps Sat 10-May-14 00:17:45

There are too many dogs....
And too few homes.
Look at your breed rescue - and see how you feel after that

I've spent 25 yrs of my career dealing with the overflow and I will stop suggesting that people neuter their pets/ don't breed when Battersea has one dog and one bitch left.
We have over bred and over supplied the market and it's a mess.

I genuinely urge you to think again and maybe the people who want your potential puppies can look at rescuing a dog

Valuecrisps Sat 10-May-14 00:20:31

And I'm not sure what 'work' your dogs do but if you are sort of a system that deals with destroying other animals for fun then I urge you to think again on that issue too.

Obviously if your dogs are going to work to help people then I take that back...

Anywhichway Sat 10-May-14 00:25:11

Congratulations op

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 00:26:52

"Look at your breed rescue "

This^^

BrightlyColouredFish Sat 10-May-14 00:27:17

Wow!

The vitriol on this thread has taken me quite aback.

No, springers are not used to kill other animals.

As it happens (this will out me but I'm so fucking incensed I don't care), one of my litter will go to be a cancer sniffer dog (if approved, they have to pass tests, gosh horror, how evil).

Jesus. I'm out of here.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 00:35:03

Vitriol? Where?

BrightlyColouredFish Sat 10-May-14 00:40:23

Sillybilly

Vitriol simply means criticism. And yes, I've been roundly criticised on this thread for daring to responsibly breed my dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now