Can't get dog back if escapes from house

(6 Posts)
giddly Fri 09-May-14 17:13:16

Any ideas? Our 1 year old dog takes any opportunity to make a bid for freedom, and then won't come back - she doesn't go far but bounces about in the neighbours gardens and the road (which is luckily quiet but is still obviously dangerous). I end up having to follow her in order to slow down any passing traffic but she refuses to come to me. Normally recall is OK ish but a work in progress (she goes to classes) but in these circumstances it just goes out the window. I offer treats etc. and praise her when she comes back (however long it takes). Obviously the main aim is to ensure she doesn't get out and we have a number of safeguards in place, but very occasionally she does (like today) when a combination of workmen / children conspired to overcome my cunning dog containment plan and when it happens it's very worrying (not to mention frustrating). The only way I can get her back is by running away from her back to the house, but obviously I have to be careful doing this as I'm mindful of traffic (she has no road sense at all). Any ideas of how to improve this situation should it happen again (hopefully it won't).

SatansFurryJamHats Fri 09-May-14 17:18:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ephedra Fri 09-May-14 17:34:44

We have a in command and it is the best thing ever (according to the dog). Every time my collie goes outside he is rewarded for coming in when told to with food. We also play a game which is just a list of commands and tricks which includes in and out. So he will go outside when told to and come inside when told to.

giddly Fri 09-May-14 19:50:32

That sounds good ephedra - will work on an in / out command! We do crate her a lot when we have people coming and going (it's part of the cunning plan!) but kids didn't realise she wasn't supposed to be let out and I didn't know the workman needed to open the garden gate (and then left it open).

Containment indoors is the way, I agree. My dog would be exactly the same but it is drilled into anyone who sets foot in my house - you do not open the door until ypu know the dog is secure. It has worked without misshap in 19 mnths as it is so ingrained into us and anyone who knows us well enough to let themselves in or out. If we have workmen then again the dog is secured elsewhere with no access to exit. Best thing is to make it no exceptions ever, then no one can have the excuse of forgetting.

flowery Fri 09-May-14 23:49:36

We just have a baby gate in the hall by the front door. Our door opens on to a main road and no way am I taking any chance he might be able to sneak past someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now