Anyone uses D.E for their pets?

(10 Posts)
JKramer Thu 08-May-14 19:06:54

I just started using D.E on my dogs as it's a natural dewormer and it supposedly helps with joints development. I still use advocate but at a slightly less frequency. Just wondering if anyone uses it and what experience have you had with it?

Urvy Thu 08-May-14 20:30:22

I use this and no other wormer. I was told about it by my dog's breeder who uses it on all hers. My dog's mum and all the pups never had any other worm treatment and when worm counts were carried out (via vets) they were low or clear each time. Amazing! I have worm counts done every 6 months. So far, all clear (had 2 done).

Floralnomad Thu 08-May-14 20:51:09

Does it work on all worms ? What about lungworms ?

Owllady Thu 08-May-14 20:56:58

If you mean de that you use , it's rubbish with chickens. We were mite infested even using it and all the precautions, so I don't bother with it eith my dogs

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 08-May-14 21:50:15

It won't cover lungworms as they live outside the digestive tract most of the time. Lungworm is the most likely one to kill a dog and in a silent way.

Floralnomad Thu 08-May-14 22:50:14

Well that's a good reason for not using it then and I'm sure advocate will not be as effective if you don't use it as per the prescription ie monthly.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 08-May-14 22:56:57

Floral is right monthly treatment is needed to control lungworm due to the life cycle.

Butterflylovers Fri 09-May-14 06:44:20

I use advocate and drontal but I'm also very wary of all these chemicals that we are pumping into the dogs. The advocate burnt a hole on a chair covering. All these monthly drops, tablets and vaccines. In the past, people didn't use these as much and I don't remember hearing about epidemics of dogs dying?

DandyDindie Fri 09-May-14 08:34:47

Lungworms is a relatively recent issue for dogs in the uk. Climate change and increased international travel means that dogs are now exposed to infections that they weren't 20 years ago. And dogs today do live significantly longer as a population thanks to all these chemicals

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 09-May-14 08:58:40

The increased movement of pets across country borders and the warmer temperatures have caused the spread of lungworm into the UK and increased the prevalence of Lyme disease.
We used to see severely anaemic pets from heavy flea and worm burdens, but in most cases a treatment resolved the problem.
Sadly both lungworm and Lyme disease can have such insidious onset that even once diagnosis has been made they still prove fatal. Hence the move to prevention rather than treatment.
On the plus side combined with improved nutrition good parasite control does seem to be partially responsible for the considerably increased life expectancy of our pet population 14-15 would be the norm for most dogs and 17-18 for cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now