Toy poodle, whippet or Manchester terrier? Help...

(7 Posts)
snala Thu 08-May-14 10:26:31

Hi, we have a miniature pinscher and I'm now looking for a second dog and I've narrowed it down to these breeds.
All very different I know.
Any thoughts?

snala Thu 08-May-14 18:33:45

Bump for the evening dog lovers!

SqueakyChicken Thu 08-May-14 20:18:28

What kind of thing do you want to know? Are you looking at puppies or older dogs?

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-May-14 20:30:14

Well, I love whippets, but they are quite a bit bigger than your other two selections there.

What is your current dog like in terms of what they like to do? Are they zoomy off lead and snorey at home, or a bimbler in and out?

snala Thu 08-May-14 21:05:31

My min pin has lots of energy but is more of a potter about type on walks. She likes a good run around in the garden with a ball but I'm not sure the garden would being enough for a whippet to let off steam.
I'm also mindful of walking such different sized breeds together, the min pin will need to do 3 x more steps than the whippy!
I would just like to know more about living with the different breeds really. I have found excellent breeders for all the breeds but need to make a decision.
There is also the option of getting another min pin as obviously the requirements would be the same.
I also love the mini schnauzer ...........

snala Thu 08-May-14 21:31:04

Do whippets shed much?

SqueakyChicken Fri 09-May-14 00:39:50

I can help you out in regards to the Toy Poodle. Assuming you've already thought about the differences in grooming so won't mention that.

They're busy, active little things with huge attitudes that make me call them terriers with curls. They're highly intelligent so if you don't work their brains they can become nightmares, I think that's where the snappy poodle idea came from, all those old ladies with intelligent poodles!

The thing about poodles is that on the whole they're quite yappy. Mine is very noisy. Some are quiet. Depends on the line, but something to check first as all the ones I've met are 'talkative'!

Parents need to be PRA tested and they're prone to luxating patellas and hyperthyroidism.

I have other breeds alongside my poodle and a good way to put it is, my other more relaxed breeds tend to sleep most of the evening poodle never does!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now