Preparing Pooch for Baby

(7 Posts)
ToonLass Tue 06-May-14 22:05:41

Hello! I am 15weeks pregnant and heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time today...such a special moment and all of a sudden it's REAL!!

I'm now thinking about the preparations we need to makes before the new arrival makes an appearance, and the one thing which I'm slightly worried about is how my dog will adjust to having a baby in the house.

We adopted my lovely Lurcher 15months ago and she's everything I could have ever asked for in a dog - loyal, affectionate, lazy and highly entertaining. I admittedly have treated her like a baby since we got her and she is very used to having my undivided attention.

I have no worries about her getting jealous or the likes (although I am well aware she is still a dog and to watch out for such behaviour) but I'm starting to feel guilty already about not having as much time for her, as inevitable as it is.

I have read that I should start distancing myself from her so it's not such a shock, and although I see the sense in it, I don't know if I would be able to do it!

Anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do to prepare pooch and how did they cope?

Thanks!

Lilcamper Wed 07-May-14 07:35:39

Loads of info on the subject here

DearDinah Wed 07-May-14 07:44:03

We've just set up a baby gate between dining room & kitchen & getting ours used to not being in the room with us all the time, it's hard, especially when they whine but I'm sticking with it, I want to make sure we're safe for their sakes as well as baby's, I bought a doll & was going to spend time walking around with it in my arms, telling them no if they jump up to see it, haven't quite got round to this yet as been so busy, DH needs to get used to being chief dog walker too, much to his dismay but they always get super hyped up if I so much as make a move to put my shoes on, I imagine if I'm tired & ratty that could get annoying! Also tried playing a crying baby recording from YouTube, they didn't seem bothered so I think it should be fine. Does your dog have set walks, I'm trying to jumble ours up a bit so they aren't expecting to go out at certain times of day, but again it's hard when your working FT

ToonLass Wed 07-May-14 12:51:04

Thanks for your reply.

Yea she does have a walking routine but that's dictated by our working hours. At the weekend we're more flexible and she does well at adapting to walking at different times. My DH does most of the walking with her anyway and will continue to do so which is good!

I've never thought about using a doll, it's quite a good idea. Also have heard of a CD you can can buy with recordings of crying babies which may also help her get used to the noise!

I am just scared that I won't have the discipline just now to not give her as many cuddles and affection.

tabulahrasa Wed 07-May-14 13:53:18

Honestly - I don't see any reason to distance yourself artificially...I never found that I had less affection for my dogs after the DC were born, time for exercise, yes that's harder to fit in and can be a bit of a chore after a sleepless night, but not cuddles.

ToonLass Thu 08-May-14 12:39:32

Thank you, it's good to hear that...I do still think I should get her out of sleeping in our bed though - although I've been saying that for as long as she's been sleeping there!

tabulahrasa Thu 08-May-14 13:18:39

Yeah if you're changing practical things like sleeping arrangements they're better done beforehand so it's all done and dusted.

But I wouldn't worry about being affectionate - I used to moan to the dogs about the DC, lol, as long as there's a good boy (or girl) in there they counted it as positive attention...that's the good thing about dogs, they're fairly easy to please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now