Strange reflection/light in dogs eye? Bit worried

(5 Posts)
SteveBrucesNose Thu 01-May-14 10:14:19

I'm a bit worried about GirlDog's eye. She only has one - both her and BoyDog are 9 year old rescue Dalmatians who we've had a month, and she had her left eye removed a few years back but nobody truly knows the circumstances.

It's only happened 3 times, all at night, but her eye has had a strange kind of shine/reflection/just weird/a bit devil-esque. But, it looks just like all those random 'share this' things on Facebook when people's eyes appear like that on photos and it shows they have cancer or a major eye condition (yes, yes, I know, I never normally take notice of these things)

BoyDog's eyes don't do it. I'm just really worried because it's her only eye - and because nobody knows what happened to it, what if it was a condition and now she has it in her other eye?

Or is this a normal thing and I just don't know about it, and I'm just being a but PFDog about her?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 01-May-14 13:25:13

It is normal to get shine coming back off a dogs eye when they are in the dark and a light is shone up them, this is the retinal flare. Normal retinas do this abnormal retinas do not.

Owllady Thu 01-May-14 14:13:11

Yes it's normal
She is not demonised after all grin

Ephedra Thu 01-May-14 14:45:37

I feel the need to share this picture of my dog again.

SteveBrucesNose Thu 01-May-14 15:41:26

Thanks! I think perhaps I'm being rather overprotective of her eye seeing as it's the only one she has and I wasnt thinking that possession might explain her behaviour at times, oh no

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now