rescue dog question re microchipping

(24 Posts)
Owllady Wed 30-Apr-14 21:44:45

Mine is chipped but registered with the rescue, which I don't have a problem with
But can I chip her with me too? My last two were just chipped with me, not that they ever needed it smile and were rescue too

SpicyPear Wed 30-Apr-14 22:13:28

I'm pretty sure you can add your details to the database alongside the rescue's. Do you have the chip number?

BusyPA Wed 30-Apr-14 22:22:11

Our vet gave us a contact number and I allied and swapped our girls rescue home to our address, it was very easy.

BusyPA Wed 30-Apr-14 22:28:16

* called

ender Thu 01-May-14 10:32:25

My dog's chip was still registered with previous owners as the rescue hadn't changed it. I had to pay to change details, can't remember how much but not a lot. Chip company had to write to previous owner to confirm they gave the dog up, in case it'd got lost or been stolen from them. If they don't reply in a month ownership details are changed anyway.

Mrsjayy Thu 01-May-14 11:32:28

the chip company have a registering site so you can regester with them and jaydog has a tag

Mrsjayy Thu 01-May-14 11:32:44

tag has our details on it first then the rescue

moosemama Thu 01-May-14 15:50:43

I have two rescue dogs. The first one is chipped to the rescue, but I don't have a problem with that, because I am still part of their rescue community and I would get him back really quickly anyway if he was found and they were contacted.

The second was also already chipped. The rescue put themselves as second contact and gave us the contact details to put ourselves first.

QuietTiger Thu 01-May-14 16:59:50

Owllady - I think I know the rescue in question and they don't routinely give permission for the chips to be changed, so what I would suggest is that you ring the chip company and ask them to be listed as "First contact", rather than the rescue.

I think there is an option for about 3 different names/numbers as DH is listed as a primary contact for his dog from the same place.

Owllady Thu 01-May-14 20:30:06

I wasn't going to do anything without talking to them qt

EasterBunnyFuntStoleAllTheEggs Fri 02-May-14 08:39:11

The contact details for my dogs chip are the rescue that he came from. I never even thought about enquiring to get myself added on.

ender Fri 02-May-14 08:48:48

Why do the rescue want to keep their contact details on the chip? If my dog got lost and someone found it I'd want to be the first to know and would be easily contactable on mobile phone. Might not be so easy to contact a rescue organisation. Also you'd have to remember to keep the rescue updated with changes of address etc.

Atbeckandcall Fri 02-May-14 08:54:06

It's really important that you get your details on the chip. Quite often dogs get lost on an evening walk and are found later on in the evening when the centre phones are closed. That means they would have to be out in a local authority pound and contact will be tried again in the morning. All the while you will incur boarding charges. If police (if they don't have a scanner on them) or a member of the public find the dog at night they generally contact a 24 hour vet to scan the dog. If you can't get through on the numbers they go in pound kennels. If the owners detail are correct on the chip, reunited within minutes.

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 09:08:26

a lot of rescues still own their dogs iyswim that is why they are on the chip although owl lady needs to be on it as well

SpicyPear Fri 02-May-14 09:17:01

Different rescues have different policies but it's not uncommon for it to be part of the adoption agreement that the dog remains chipped to the rescue. You can add your details in addition.

This is because even with proper vetting of adopters, people's circumstances can and do change. Adopted dogs can an do end up straying and homeless several years down the line. So some rescues do this so they will always be contacted to take the dog back if this happens. They are making a lifetime commitment to the dogs they home. The trustees of the rescue I do most work with are contactable 24 hrs a day and will mmobilise local volunteers to get a lost dog to a safe foster home if necessary while they wait for tour get hold of the adopter. I was unsure of it at first but now I think it's a great backup to have.

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 09:19:43

yeah what spicypear if any of our circumstances change we need to return him to the rescue we got him from

Owllady Fri 02-May-14 12:07:27

Yes it's because of what spicypear says, plus they have more contacts with pounds etc so if she was lost they would have a better chance of finding her than me (I think that's what they said blush
She wears a tag anyway, I think ten times out if ten if a dog is loose and lost, the stranger who catches them will look at the tag first.
I will get in touch with the rescue though about getting my name added. We have always had our dogs until death anyway, I have no reason to believe this mutt will be any different grin

Owllady Fri 02-May-14 12:10:39

I think some of you would be surprised how many dogs get returned sad even sometimes after years
I remember the rescue my mum was involved in, the main reason for returning them was not being house trained, even after they had had them months (sometimes years!) Some people just do not take personal responsibility
Sorry I don't mean to sound so judgemental, but training is the owners responsibility but I suppose responsibility contains the word responsible hmm

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 12:13:00

my little dog is a returner bless him he is wired to the moon with no social skills by the time we got him most of the damage was hotwired into him it is a long slog with a returner rescue ime

Owllady Fri 02-May-14 12:18:27

My first dog as an adult was a 2yr old collie/lurcher cross, unclaimed stray
Also wired to the moon grin it is bloody hard work. She sadly died a couple of years ago but both me and my h say if she hadn't had come to us (dedicated nutters) then she would have been pts quite early on as she was such hard work, even for people who had had dogs. She was lovely though with work (though tbf she still had quirks) and we were lucky to have her and my husband especially, misses her terribly
I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, I don't really do arrogant

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 12:20:03

no it sounds lovely your dog was lucky to have a nice home and family yes jaydog is a collie cross and certainly quirky hmm

Owllady Fri 02-May-14 18:42:38

Mrsjay, thank you but you are quite marvellous yourself and nutter jaydog would leave a massive hole if he wasn't there

Mrsjayy Sat 03-May-14 10:45:44

nutter jaydog would leave a massive hole if he wasn't there

oh goddness yes I luffs him like he was my baby

Owllady Sat 03-May-14 16:51:32

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now